Saturday, August 8, 2009

It does not get better than this.....

Dear Family and Friends,
This has been one of those days for the permanent memory file. This place is beautiful, the tall trees with whispering winds wafting through, the eager garden waving sunflowers among the verdant green of the wide variety of growing plants, string beans, watermelon, tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, carrots, radishes, beets, corn and so it goes. This is a garden where weeds do NOT grow, they are not allowed by faithful farmer Jerry who monitors the garden on a seemingly hourly basis. When I woke this morning after a very chilly night and took the anxious dogs out for their morning walk we found a crisp and beautiful morning with deep blue skies, singing birds and other wild creatures. We walked the entire acre and the dogs thought they were in heaven with smells on every corner. Jerry has created points of interest with fruit trees, patio areas, a wide variety of flowers, shrubs and what seems like miles of green lawn.
The night was interesting. I thought well its summer and one blanket should cover it. Wrong! Marilyn sleeps in the back and controls the furnace, well let me tell you the furnace did NOT come on at all since she was snug as a bug under her two blankets. Meanwhile ice was forming on my breathing mask and the dogs clung to me for warmth. Of course a comforter was just inches from where I slept safely stored under the bed but that would have involved my getting up in the very cold air so I just huddled and shivered. Tonight things change, the comforter comes out and the wonderful mountain air will be repelled, I will sleep warm. I've learned my lesson, when in the mountains remember the chill at comes when the sun sets.
Today has been an exciting adventure with my brother attempting to end my life with a treacherous hike up over mountain paths, near roaring streams and avoiding wildlife. Actually it was a dream come true. I've heard about Jerry's legendary hikes for years through the absolutely gorgeous countryside with Mt Shasta looming in the distance, mature firs and pines all around and the crisp mountain air in ones nostrils. My problem was one of too much weight, a habit of walking my three miles on totally level terrain at about 20 feet above sea level. To me it felt like we were nearing the top of Everest but Jerry says it is only about 3,700 or 3,800 feet. My poor lungs just kept searching for air and found less than they wanted. At home the only hill I climb is when I step up on the curb! Jerry was just getting into his groove and was sharing what was up ahead and happened to mention that we had to go the same distance back from where ever we hiked. I decided it was time right then to turn back or call the medics. Eventually we made it home and sitting down in his comfortable deck chair felt so good. No wonder this super man has lost 21 lbs over the last year, hiking these trails at this altitude. It was an unforgettable hike and we managed to avoid snakes, bears, cougars and were only threatened by a menacing grey squirrel who complained at us from a branch in a tree.
Breakfast was a special French toast that marinates overnight and it was wonderful. Later in the day we had a BBQ with duck, chicken, corn and a lonely Griller. Everyone made special foods and the family interaction is something to behold. These four sisters and their mom having their discussions is amusing and amazing. There are lots of laughs, plans, memories in the making.
Suzie is right in the middle of all this love and caring. She is a pretty feisty participant and holds her own very well. She eats as much as she can, rests when she needs to and is just a total inspiration. This evening we've just been sitting on Suzie's huge and red comfy conversation sofa which holds about 20 people and there was plenty of conversation taking place. This family has opened its arms to Marilyn and one would never guess that 24 hours ago she just met most of these family members.
Now its time to crash and try to make it through the chilly mountain night. This time I'm ready, if Marilyn will not turn on the furnace and she won't I'm guessing then I'll just get the huge comforter out, marshal the dogs to sleep by me and be warm. Oh that I could retain some of this chilly evening as we had back to the valley tomorrow where reports indicated a temperature of about 95 in Redding.
So good night to all,
Sending love

Tim
PS Barbie reports she is home from her time in surgery on Friday and she is feeling well.

No comments: