Thursday, December 10, 2009

Shiver me timbers

Wow was it cold today! I lept from my bed at 6 because some fool had set the alarm wrong but it was only a moment before I settled back in for further rest.
When I finally rolled out at 7:30 I discovered I had a headache and it has been with me all day, back to the old constant coughing and foul pain. Anyway it did not slow me down, perhaps it made the day less enjoyable but too bad.
I headed to Stockton and half way there while bouncing over the nasty levee road I felt for my measuring wheel. It was not there. I had left early this morning to be sure to meet the kind realtor who was letting me in. Quickly considering the time it would take to go back to the house I plunged on. I've been needing a new wheel to measure with for some time as mine is cranky and often fails. I rushed into Home Depot and found their tapes and wheels. What a disappointment. The only thing close to a wheel was this bright yellow plastic monster with electronic readouts, reset buttons. Well when you are against the wall what do you do. Well you go ahead and buy it, wrestle it out of the cardboard it was attached to. So I ended up being late, 15 minutes in fact but the man was great and understanding. The wheel worked awfully. It sounded like a plastic toy truck as it rolled over the stucco and concrete, yes it did the job but it was no answer long term. In fact I returned it to another Home Depot later in the day, I could never use it on a regular basis. I'm not sure what it was designed for but it was not appraisers!
After completing the inspection of this beautifully updated home, the granite was amazing and the stainless steel appliances looked brand new. I next drove to Riverbank to shoot comp photos of duplex and 2 house properties for a report I am working on. Then it was home via Tracy where the Home Depot visit was made, then to the Mountain House Library to select a few books to take on the trip, on these wonder new IPOD sort of things, they fit in your hand but hold an entire book, very nice for travelling. By now the day was fleeting. When I approached Discovery Bay I knew I needed to put funds into the bank, but the mail person brought me no funds. I had the refund money from the wheel and I decided to rush to town to close out Nan's banking account, it has a few bucks. However that was not simple. In spite of my signing a card which added me to her account they had no such proof. So I had to fill out a two page form, be notarized and then I got my amazing $49.61. By the time I got back to the bank it was closed. By taking every dollar out of my wallet I deposited enough to cover what I knew was in the red. However to my dismay when I got home something else had come in and I was still overdrawn so another wasted $29 charge will await in the morning. Errr. I did try.
Finally I headed home and was told that I could go ahead and see a little condo unit here near by house. So as the darkness was approaching I inspected this nice little condo, inspected its attic with the new ladder and finally arrived home after dark.
This evening I've settled down and have just completed the appraisal for the house I saw this morning. Its already emailed to the lender and now I'm heading to bed. You see I'm taking Nikki and family to the airport in the morning at 5:15 so some sleep would be good.
After I make sure they are away I'll head to El Cerrito to do a driveby and then Concord for one that came in today. Then I'll head home to write up what I can before packing for my leaving on Sabbath Morning at 8:30 for Kona. How nice it will be to be with the family and enjoy 80 degree temperatures for a few days. Should I be going? Absolutely not if going is based on being able to afford to be away and the cost of the ticket. However I am going and I plan to fully enjoy every minute of it.
So my family and friends, I bid you a cheery good night.

love

tim

No comments: