Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Another day, another dollar


Dear Family and Friends,

I've just returned from having dinner with my brother Jerry and his wife Donna in Sacramento. They are planning to move the 5th wheel trailer that has been home away from home for Jerry for the past several years. They are taking it home to Weed where their ranch is located. Donna has cleaned the kitchen and it gleams. Jerry has the truck ready to hook it up and begin the trip tomorrow sometime. After I completed a response to an appraisal review this evening I decided to drive up and see them both, have dinner and take a much needed break. We had a lovely evening and great food. On my way back I noticed that I had gone 530 miles on the tank and needed to locate diesel fuel. Well I found a truck stop and paid $3.79 per gallon. What a shock. Yet I was glad to find the fuel and glad I had enough money in the bank to cover the cost. Joy comes in different ways these days.
Once again two checks came in the mail today and I know I will collect two checks tomorrow at the first appointment. I did have a real shock a few minutes ago. I checked in OM, our system that we log appraisals order into, to see how many orders we had last year at this time. Over twice as many orders last year as this year. I guess that helps explain why things are so tight.
Ken and I walked this morning and since the appointments I had fell through for today I decided to clear up a few things. First I called Blue Cross to find out what I was having to pay 30% of every doctor visit, every hospital test, every blood workup. It was explained that we had always had a policy that has a $1,000 deductible and then until a $5,000 mark was reached we had to pay 1/3 of every thing. After that then they pay nearly everything. Well for the past few years Nan's medical expenses were so heavy that we reached the $5,000 mark with just one day in the hospital so we had never even noticed what I am experiencing this year. Also she pointed out that my entire medical expense last year was less than $1,000 total. This year it has already been several thousand due to the tests and procedures I am having done. Then to challenge AMEX for a $38 charge that I paid over two months ago. She told me it would be easier if I would just pay it again since my payment was lost in their system somewhere.
Tomorrow is going to be a good day I think. Loren is coming out to ride shotgun. Our first appointment is in Vallejo at noon so we will need to leave here about 11. We see two properties in Vallejo, then drive on through the beautiful Sonoma valley to Rohnert Park where I have 4 more to do. 6 appraisals in one day, that is remarkable since I've been average less than that a week. I am grateful this evening.
In a way it is sad to know Jerry will not be just up in Sacramento every week anymore but I am very relieved that he will not be working a 12 hour shift all night anymore either. At 70 I think he has done enough all night shifts and has earned his rest. It is a 300 mile trip from my house to their home which will have to be planned in advance but well worth it. They live in a beautiful part of the state near Mt Shasta and its right on the highway so easy to reach.
Both Art and LeAnn, my neighbor lady had oral surgery. It does not sound fun what they had done but both are doing well.
I received a very nice email today from my friend Karen and photo copies of several chapters in the book Sylvia has about the loss of a spouse. I look forward to reading them and am enjoying reading the books Karen sent.
So good night friends, family and anyone else who might be reading.
Its been three months with Nan gone, she would be very proud of what I have learned to do and relieved that I'm OK. I miss her terribly every day.
love
tim

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Tim, Well, next time to Sacramento area and it's our turn to see you! Guess it is big moving time for Jerry. He lived in that 5th wheel quite a long time. Why don't you come up on the 15th and visit us at our lovely little church...it's also potluck that day. We can give you easy directions. I didn't walk today and am not feeling so good about that. Gerry had the lawn mower blade sharpened and the oil changed. The grass was getting long and he did a nice job in making it look nice. Isn't it nice to see the sunshine again???
Keep busy. Love, Barb

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

Good for Your Brother! to have worked till 70. I was worn out at 65 and glad to call it quits. 48 years on the same job for Me, I will say that for the most part I enjoyed what I was doing but there were times of wondering "what if?"

We enjoyed a good lunch & fellowship at the Senior Center Yesterday and We will be there again today.

Choir Practice went well last evening(Conners send greetings) and the Brass Group numbers that I am trying to play along with are coming along too. It has been more than ten years since I've had My Trombone out of the case and believe Me I'm "Rusty" to say the very least. We are working on five numbers for the Easter Service on the 22nd.

I'm finally able to do My walking routine without coughing, I was begening to think the congestion that was bugging Me would never go away. So far Carrol has escaped catching the Bug and for that We are very thankfull.

Have a safe Day and know that We are thinking of You and by the way , We are going to have an "Olive Garden" in Stockton soon. The plans have been approved at last and it will be on the corner of March Lane & I-5 accross the street from Marie Calendars in the "Old Yellow House" Building. We are hopeing that it will be open this fall sometime.

See You soon,

Bob & Carrol.

A Journey Well Taken: Life After Loss said...

I am sorry for your loss. As a widow of four years I know about the tough days and the tough times when losing a spouse. It's wonderful you are writing here and keeping a journal. May you be well. Elaine Williams

Anonymous said...

Wow, do you and your brother look alike, especially if you don't enlarge the picture. Close up, not quite so much, but definitely related! :)
I'm sure you will have days for many years when you miss Nan terribly...I've lost some close friends over the years and every so often a wave will hit and bring such a pang of sadness.
I'm proud of you and what you are accomplishing on a daily basis. Nan would be pleased, without a doubt.
With love, Judy (Cate)