Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Secret of Bliss, Sharing a life, not Controlling it.

Dear Family and Friends,
What a great concept for a relationship, sharing by two people, neither one attempting to control the other.
This has been a very long day. It really got rolling when Ken called at 6:30 and asked if I wanted to walk. Well I had been considering rolling out for 1/2 an hour so jumped up, dressed and joined him for a pleasant walk. By the time the walk draws to a close we often have solved most of the worlds pressing problems, the accountant and the appraiser.
Then it was back for a quick breakfast and shower, then to work at the command post in the messy office where I researched the entire day, fixed errors and emailed new pages out, communicated with lenders over issues and values, rewrote an appraisal and emailed it out and finally headed into the field. One small change has taken place recently. A new portion of the Brentwood Bypass has opened from Lone Tree to Highway 4. That new link saves me 15 minutes every trip and so I arrived early at my Pittsburg FHA purchase appraisal. Soon the agent arrived on a glorified moped to give me access to the interior, then the buyer arrived with a check for the appraisal. That was a blessed moment. She was beside herself since she is in the midst of stopping smoking, what a battle she is engaging in. I was able to share some experiences from my days holding 5 Day Plans to Cease Smoking when I was a pastor in Tracy. We talked and agreed to pray for her. Then it was time to map the comps, shoot the photos and then drive to Martinez. The comps there were for an appraisal I did the other day and they were located all over the place, then on to Berkeley for my 4th trip to the same property. This time a reviewer sitting at a desk in San Diego has cut my value from $850 to $725. He had supplied several more sales in the general area to buttress his case. My purpose today was to drive the comps and see what they were really like. I am more sure of my value than when I started after seeing what he was suggesting. It seems he has a vested interest in finding a low value and included bank owned homes, major fixers, homes with sliding issues. So in the morning I will take an hour and respond to the review and we'll see what happens. Of course any return work to an appraisal after the first visit is free labor, not so fun.
This evening as I was returning home the traffic was so bad on 4 that I stopped at Olive Garden for soup and salad. This time the food was great. On Saturday the food in Modesto was only OK, the eggplant was not really cooked well enough and Steve's meal was not that great. While I was eating I enjoyed texting to marilyn in Rhode Island, she was enjoying a quiet moment after everyone else was in bed and quiet. She is looking forward to coming out for a vist during the summer and I can't wait. She is a true friend and we share a love and respect for Nan's courage and life.
Well Ken just called and we are on for our morning walk at 6:30. I encourage you to find a friend or spouse that you can walk with. It just helps keep the momentum going. Since I started walking my blood pressure has gone down to normal levels, the blood sugar is better, the fat to muscle ratios is improved although still terrible, daily energy levels are superior and I no longer dread walking into a store or to my car, walking is now my friend. It is really the only thing I have changed that is consistant yet. I only buy healthy foods now but I still eat too much and snack in between. I'm in preschool when it comes to learning to cook and bake, I long to use our breadmaker to make wheat bread but have not really tackled that yet.
Sylvia said a very significant thing to me a couple days ago. We were discussing my comments about feeling like God was not taking my calls. She said she doubted that God had a fistfull of clients checks in his hand waiting to send them to me. I have thought of that imagery many times since and yet it seems the checks are starting to appear. Todays appointment yielded a check and when I got home tonight another check had arrived in the mail. You need to understand that when check comes in the mail then I pick up a special erasable board I have and decide what to pay next. When I have paid that item then I place a red dot in front of it for the month. Not a perfect system but better than nothing. So far I have several dots already on the board and that feels very good.
Sometimes I can go for hours without having a painful thought of losing Nan, I often remember places we have been, trips we have taken, or pick up a blouse or something and remember when we bought it or when she first tried it on. She had such good taste and I hope God will lead me to someone who could benefit from her beautiful clothes.
I had the high privilege of a call from Sharon this afternoon. When the phone rings and it is Sharon I just start smiling. She is so funny, so loving, so honest and so busy now as she not only holds her business together along with Rick but also completes the sale of her present home and moves into her new little place she lovingly calls the White House. Her heart is not in the move as she has so many wonderful memories of her many years in the present home. Her garage is full, her rooms are full and soon she has to move. She is dreading the whole process. She always makes me laugh at her comments and I am always drawn to Jesus by her commitment and love for her Lord. What a wonderful person!
Well its time to move to the bedroom. I often am asleep before I stretch out in bed. I no longer have the painful back problems which woke me so early in the morning for months. I still creak and its hard to reach down for my shoes. I continue to have dizzy sessions when I get up from bed or lean my head down. When I stretch my jaws I can hear a creaking and cracking in the bones just inside my ears in my head. I know its not right but so far I've not found relief.

Thanks for listening and reading and remember, you are sharing a life, not controlling itk!

love

tim

No comments: