Saturday, March 15, 2008

The blest day is the best day.

Dear Family and Friends,
What a nice day. At 8:30 this morning Nikki called to say she thought Ms Keanna was doing well enough for Sabbath School so I put the shower in overdrive, dressed and arrived at 9 for pickup. Keanna was ready in a pretty spring dress and we drove to Tracy. Poor Keanna's eyes showed the evidence of a week of fevers and illness. She is weak and tires easily, she and Steve have had a week of flu unlike anything this family has seen before. She mostly sat beside me in Sabbath School and when she told me it was time we left, then she rested in the car a bit and we drove to Old Spaghetti Factory in Stockton to meet Nikki and Pam. We enjoyed lunch and Keanna drew and colored a very nice picture, had some food and then they went their way and I drove home to rest and recoup. This evening I braved the wind and cold weather to weed eat a few nasty stands of weeds, moved the lawn and placed on fertilizer on it, turned on the sprinklers and then came inside. I hatched some food together, it was warm and tasty and the stuff that was not tasty went down the drain. I had tried something from the freezer but it was freezer burned and was too far gone.
I rested in the recliner for a bit, tried to tidy up the lower office a bit in an attempt to make that computer talk to the server but still no luck with that endevour.
I have enjoyed hearing from Roger and Carol today and Bob and Carrol. They had graciously invited me over for games this evening and I considered it for a long time, so long that when I woke it was too late. Sounded like fun and I will definitely look forward to it in the future. These two couples have been such a solid daily support, they really make a difference in my life.
When I think of them and I do often during the day as I drive my thought go like this. I am so thrilled that Roger and Carol finally have help and I long for the day when they can report that Lakemont is under new ownership. It has been a real blessing to not only them but to hundreds of people who come and stay for a day, a week, a month or even a year. They have had a very real ministry there as well as a beautiful base for their busy lives.
I also think of Bob and Carrol, of the terrific challenges they have faced with Carrol's health challenges, I am so proud of their courage, their daily love of life and for the frequent visits they made all during Nan's final year. Their visits brought a real time of brightness and enjoyment to Nan. Carrol knew just what to say, could answer questions we might have and would rub Nan's legs and feet bringing relief.
Nan and I have experienced genuine friendship over the past few years, deep, honest, caring friendships that span from this life to the next one. We have been blessed with so many quality people from family and friends. All brought their own brand of blessing, all helped as God directed.
Keanna and I talked a lot about her Grammy today, she says it makes her sad sometimes to think about Grammy because there are so many things she wants to tell her Grammy. Today she remembered the beautiful little book she made and placed in the casket with Nan, of the little stuffed Pugs, one for Keanna and one for the casket. She will certainly never forget her Grammy and has been touched in her life with Nan's incredible love and compassion. No matter how Nan was feeling, when Keanna walked into the room Nan went into smile mode and loved her time with this precious person. They had a special bond and its makes me very angry when I think about that bond being broken by cancer, the horrible unfairness, the wrenching loss. I can hardly bear it. Jason says he feels the same at times, why Nan? Whats the point?
I feel like I have sort of stumbled through these last 3 months, I have kept getting up, kept working hard but there are very few pockets of joy or meaning along the way, those moments are supplied by the kids, their kids and the incredible circle of friends that seems to take turns sending hope and courage.
And so another week begins and this new dreary life goes on. I am so lonely at times and I am reminded how fortunate I was to have had a lady with an even temperament, a great lover of fun and excitement, of travel, of entertainment, of good food, of family. As I look back there is nothing to complain about or to remember with bitterness. Nan was the ultimate good guy, loyal, steady, elegant, faithful, strong, loving, tender and very special to me.
love to all family and friends,

Tim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Tim,

I thought I'd better get this off early ~ it's going to be a very busy day... The kids are moving in down stairs today. I have to help pack up the stuff that is there and get it moved to storage. They need some of our stuff and some they don't. We weren't sure what they had or what they needed before they came. It seems every one who has lived there has needed different things and they always seem to leave stuff when they leave. It's good that our church school has yard sales about every 3 months!

Then this afternoon we have to go to a funeral of a very good friend's mother. She just had her 90th birthday. Her daughter-in-law is a very special friend of mine. Unfortunately, she has cancer and had her final chemo treatment just the day before and is very wiped out and weak! She is the nurturing type and is frustrated that she can't take care of all the family who is coming. Today I will be focusing on her. I will take her to the service and be sure she gets home again when she gets too tired. Another beautiful lady who doesn't deserve cancer!

And yes, it makes me angry to lose friends to cancer! I've lost too many friends to that horrible disease!!! No one is exempt. My friend is a dietician and very careful of her diet, exercises regularly and takes good care of herself. Why? Because we live in a sinful world ~ not that the person is sinful, but that we live in a diseased world. "An evil one has done this!" Good news ~ Soon our Lord is coming! Our goal should now be to focus on our relationship with our God. We had a wonderful sermon yesterday ~ We tend to hang on to little things that separate us from that relationship. If we really believe He is coming soon we need to get our priorities straight. Not just talk the talk, but walk the walk. Right on!

Enough preaching! Now I need to practice what I preach and spend some time with my God before the day gets crazy. Have a good week.

We love you ~ Carol

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

Happy St. Patricks Day tomorrow and a safe day on the busy roads too.

We will be going to Rio Vista for Lunch at "Fosters Big Horn", Traditional Corned Beef & Cabbage only .99 cents always a treat every Year.

Carol is so right about losing so many loved ones to Cancer. How We with You look for the Day when the Lord will Make Us "New" again.

Our Choir Director is finally feeling better and just called to let Us know that We will be having Brass Practice tomorrow evening and Choir on Wed & Friday evenings hope We can get these numbers ready for Sabbath.

Have a good Week & know that We think often of the good visits that We had with You & Nan and long for the Day when We will All be together again.

Love You,

Bob & Carrol.