Monday, April 20, 2009

Big day, good news in the mailbox

Dear Family and Friends,
Ken and I walked again this morning as our master Sargent LeAnn told us to walk or else. Thank goodness for loving friends to urge us to do our best. It seemed a very long ways around but I survived and so did Ken. Then it was home to finish up an appraisal and hit the road with a on time departure for Santa Rosa. The trip went well and I arrived to the minute on time at a very nice townhouse development. The nice lady lost her husband 20 years ago and is totally committed to working with her church. The home was perfect with soaring Redwood trees nearby. After finding and photographing the comps I set the GPS for Olive Garden. Lunch was mid afternoon and tasted oh so good. Then it was back on the road for the trip to an empty lot in Pittsburg. Filled with construction equipment of every kind the lot is being used for some purpose at the bank and an appraisal is needed. However finding similar comparables has proven to be nearly impossible. Over the years I've found that there are very few impossible properties, just ones that take a little longer to figure out.
This evening found me back at a grief group meeting and it was really good as a tuneup. This whole process of relearning how to live as a new person without the comfort and aid of your spouse has proved to be challenging for all of us in the group. I appreciate the honesty and raw emotions that are shared and often out of someone elses story moments of clarity happen and an answer or a new question is formed. And I must add there is always someone there with a story of their experience that helps put ones own story in perspective. I am convinced that the only way into the exclusive club we share is the actual process of losing a spouse. Over and over again the same thought is shared, I thought I was prepared for the moment of loss, of death because we had spent so many months, years going through the decline together. I just knew I was ready, steeled and had already felt it all, oh yes and then it happens, you hear that last breath and the shudder of death and something rips apart inside like you can not imagine.
The flip of all of this is the exact opposite, of enjoying life with your loved one without pain, without suffering, without risk. Oh that I could grant you a full awareness of what you have on a daily basis, the joy of hearing your lover fall asleep, of seeing them wake and stretch, of coming home after work and the reunion, the little thrill when you see them come into your place of work, or walk into church with them, the pride that comes from seeing them all dressed up fancy for a wedding or a night out. Together is definitely more fun than being alone. I know, I've done both.
A few minutes ago I was on the phone with my brother and as we spoke I casually opened a envelope expecting payment for one appraisal which I was anticipating depositing in the morning but to my shock and delight it was payment for several appraisals, enough to make the house payment! I'm still on a high because of it. Can you imagine how I'm going to treat this company in the future? They pay, we play. And to heighten the fun I have a new order from them in the fax machine, ready to go, ready to see! After so many dry days with nothing in the mail this is a real blessing.

I was able to talk with Suzie for quite a while this afternoon as I drove back from Santa Rosa. She certainly appreciates all the prayers that I know are ascending for her. Now the plans have changed again. She is not having a procedure this Wednesday as we expected but instead is having lab work and then she will be told where the next step will take place. So Jerry and Donna are not going to drive down after all, here I have a clean yard and on Wednesday morning a clean house, yes I am finally breaking down and hiring some help with the house. LeAnn has located someone she trusts so goodbye dog hair, cat hair, dust and grime! Lets have a party! I'll look forward to when Jerry and Donna can come down.
I know Irene also appreciates your prayers as she searches for the next step in tumor control. I am happy to report that Kallie is doing well and back on her little feet again!

Sending love to all,

Tim

No comments: