Friday, April 3, 2009

A week closer

Dear Family and Friends,
This evening brings to a close a challenging week for the family here in Discovery Bay. We have all battled the flu bug, first Kallie, then Nikki followed by Keanna. About the same time I discovered a new drastic way to dump 10 lbs in two days through extreme cleansing! By this afternoon I felt secure enough to venture out and see 3 properties in Hercules. The orders said that they were three vacant properties so I thought, these are safe, no one to give the flu to. Imagine my surprise when at the first door I heard a huge dog barking and then saw a very large pitbull lunging at the gate. My heart sank, were my well laid out plans to be wasted? The person losing the house was still there, living in a back room and trying to figure out what next for his life, in the last year he has been divorced, lost his mom and now his job as a dean at a university was gone. We spent some good time sharing and I was able to proceed and do my work. Eventually I had seen all three homes and while I still had energy I headed home.
Upon arriving home I found the following email from my dear friend Irene, a fellow GISTer. I wanted to share it here so I could ask that you join Irene in seeking God's healing. How wonderful it would be to have Irene's tumors shrink!


April 3, 2009
Dear Family and Friends,
After being on Prednisone for three weeks my alkaline phosphatase (blood test) number has not been reduced to an acceptable level that would qualify me for the IPI-504 clinical trial at OHSU. One reason why this number has been elevated is because of the chemo-embolization that I had in late January combined with the GIST tumors that are irritating the biliary system in my liver. So Dr.Heinrich has discontinued Prednisone. I will be taking Dasatinib (a cancer oral pill taken daily) instead of waiting for the clinical trial qualification. Dasatinib is approved for another cancer but will be available to me through "off label."
Back in February, my CT scan showed 3 tumors in my liver and 4 nodes in my lungs. Now there are 6 each in my liver and in my lungs. The tumor in my lower spine has increased in size. Dr. Heinrich hopes that Dasatinib will control the growth but the odds of it working are very low. I see that having been on no drugs is worst than the Dasatinib odds. This will be the fifth cancer drug I will be taking and unfortunately as we go down the line, it seems each successive one has lower odds than the previous. However, I will continue doing weekly blood tests to check on the alkaline phosphatase number. When it comes down to the acceptable range, then I can reapply for the clinical trial which has more potential than Dasatinib.
Each week my hopes were high and I wanted to be on the clinical trial so desperately. I couldn't understand why God was allowing this to happen, especially when I was given signs initially to proceed with applying for the clinical trial. A couple of weeks ago, I had a long talk with my good friend, Pinnie who ministers to members of my church. I just love talking to her because she helps me make sense of what God might be doing in my life. I had been so focused on on getting onto the trial that I really hadn't thought it would be possible for God to heal me completely - asking for no tumors and no more cancer. I guess I had not truly believed that God wants me healed. She gave me a book that was written by Dodie Osteen (mother of Joel Osteen) titled, Healed of Cancer. Dodie was diagnosed with liver cancer in 1981 and was told she had just weeks to live. Within a month, her faith in God and lots of prayers involving many others she asked God for complete healing which did happened. She is not advising everyone to do as she did but only if they are strongly compelled to do so. The latter part of the book has 40 scriptures about healing that she reads daily. I'm still going to pursue the clinical trial but I'm also going to pray more fervently about healing. She helped me to see that God can fix things but sometimes he choses a different way and perhaps a better way than we expect.
I haven't qualify for the clinical trial and don't know if I will but I know it is not hopeless for something else to happen. As some of you have replied to me, "As one door closes, another one opens." Thank you for reminding me of those encouraging words.
The past few days I have been reading a book called Knowing God's Will by Evelyn Bence. In it are many quotes and Bible verses but the one that spoke to me is one from Colossians 1:9-12 (NIV). "For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may be strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light." This passage was written to encourage the Colossians by the apostle Paul while he was imprisoned in Rome. I fine this utterly amazing and awe inspiring.
Again I want to thank you all for your caring thoughts and heartfelt prayers and I still so desperately need to sustain me. Please pray for healing and eradicating all the cancer. At the same time, I will keep Colossians 1:9-12 with my prayers for you.
With a grateful heart,
Irene

Will you join with me in keeping Irene in your prayers. Irene was a dear friend to Nan, made many trips to be with her for Dr visits, hospital room visits, visits in our home and in my way of thinking is one of God's special angels for this time. She has touched our lives in so many ways and gave Nan such prayerful support. Nan loved her deeply. Now she needs us. Will you pray?

love to all

Tim

1 comment:

Bob and Carrol. said...

Good Morning Tim,

Thanks for sharing the Letter from Irene. We will add this special request from Her to Our Daily Prayers.

How We all long for the Day when CANCER will no longer be a part of Our Life. May that Day come soon is Our daily Prayer.

God Bless You,

Bob & Carrol.