Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Join the fun

I'm just back from a lovely evening with Mary Puentes, Discovery Bay Travel. She invited me to join her and her husband, I can't spell his name. As always the mean was wonderful and ended with fresh strawberries from a local farm. She even sent some of them home with me. So good.
Today I finally was able to take my precious little Starr to the groomer where she had her teeth brushed, her nails clipped and ground down, her coat washed and groomed with a special brush and other things little doggies need. She seems happy and contented to be home. I had a coupon for $5 off and they had a special for nail clipping as well. I'm so glad to have it done.
I woke this morning to the most amazing epiphany, I am lazy. Not that admitting to such a behavior flaw is easy but I thought that perhaps by my admitting it you might consider your own life too. As I slowly woke up I was recapping how my yard, deck, side yard area looks and frankly it needs attention. I thought of painting that needs to be done inside, about baseboard that needs to be installed. I know how to do all of that and do it well. Interesting observations one can have at 6 am. Of course after Ken called to report it was raining I was able to roll over, pull the blanket up higher and go back to sleep so the insight must not have been to inspiring.
How easy it is to put things off, now there are people like Sylvia who have never put off anything in their entire life and of course they would just shake their head at the rest of us who major in procrastination and delay. Once a person lives alone there are no honey do lists posted for Sundays, we have to make our own lists and as we grow used to the way it is we fail to see how it could be.
I would like to challenge you or prompt you just a bit to join in the fun of rediscovering life. I know Jason is deep into his program that he has been attending at a local church, a program that had him walking 7 miles yesterday, wow. I think the program is called CHIPS and he is learning a lot of new things regarding his life and health. Nikki is deep into some very challenging exercise programs at the gym and would do more if there were more hours available. I am discovering a shift in my habits part of which changed when I was sick for a few days. That helps to shrink your capacity to eat so much. I have a few things I have learned, 1) keep drinking water near at all times and find a bottle that you find easy to drink from, avoid cold water, room temperature can go down much easier, 2) find foods that you can stuff yourself with that have few calories and carbs, you will not stay fat eating Romaine hearts, tomatoes, beans, boiled eggs, berries, oranges. 3) move more, do things that will get your heart rate up to (formula - 220 - age x 75%) your working fat burning heart level, vary between walking, biking and strength training and do it 6 days a week for one hour the rest of your life. We are either building our bodies or they are falling apart, we don't hold our own, it either goes one way or the other. I'm no expert but I do know what is working for me. Portion control is vital except when you are eating free foods, you can eat a lot of pinto beans or salad and still be in great shape. I include steel cut oats with ground up flax seed and a bunch of fiber powder. The fiber grabs fat and takes it out the chute instead of on the thighs. I've discovered that one can eat at Olive Garden without eating the bread sticks, one can have senior portion size at Spaghetti Factory and make it whole wheat pasta. Friends and family, we can win this thing, we can be better, healthier, live longer, live better, fit in our clothes better, we can do this and now not later.
Examples: my brother Jerry walks nearly every day for at least 2 to 4 miles in the wilderness near his house, since retiring and being home with Donna's excellent cooking he has lost a lot of weight and feels better than he has in years. He is 71 years old. Art and Connie walk nearly every day in their retirement, yesterday they walked nearly 10 miles in the hills.
Be encouraged, get up and tackle life, stay around longer and annoy your kids, play with your grandkids, amaze your friends and stomp on your enemies.

love

tim

2 comments:

Deborah W said...

Great advice! And a reminder that we each CHOOSE every day to eat healthy and stay active. One day at a time, we can do it!!

Take care,

Deborah

Microsoft Office said...

Outlook 2010 adapts its performance by displaying either a preview of a message or the full message, depending on the network speed. Microsoft Outlook 2010 download blocks e-mail messages and files from people not on your Safe Senders List.