Sunday, November 29, 2009

There is something about winter.........

Dear Ones,
Yes there is something about the winter months, chilly, breezy, brown, dormant, clear night skies, warm fires, snuggling under blankets, yes there are many nice things about winter. Daughter Nikki and I have neither been really much in favor with summer, too warm, too wet, to uncomfortable and way to expensive to keep cool with modern AC systems. There is nothing quite like measuring a two or three story home that has been closed up for weeks, measuring it on a hot summer afternoon, the air inside and upstairs is muggy, smelly and oppressive.
So here we are in the early stages of winter, not enough rain yet but still no more AC bills and a legitimate chance to light a fire, that is if the do gooders don't come and shut you down! I know I hate the smoke too but I sure like the warm glow of a nice fire.
For the last few days wind has been upon my little house by the lake and speaking of the lake the geese and ducks are enjoying the waves and white caps. The winds seem to find any little opening and blast in bringing more fresh air than one might want. I'm prone to drinking mocha drinks and I even started the day today with decaf tea which was surprisingly good. It was some sort of apple and spice flavor and quite good.
After I cleaned up an appraisal which had been lingering on my desk I prepared for and then drove to Oakland to shoot comparables and see a little house. It did not feel all that safe to be where I was so I was careful and locked up each time I went in and out. I used my wonderful new ladder compliments of Ray and Lois and inspected the attic shooting a photo to document that I in fact had been there. This little house was a typical example of when an investor buys a house that is in shambles, I mean really rough. The investor usually has a team of helpers who each know their part and within weeks the house is clean, floors refinished or new carpets laid, walls painted, kitchen has new cabinets, granite counters, baths are redone and the house is reborn. At this point in time there are multiple offers bidding on such places and the prices are rising, the investor makes a good profit and for the first time a little family owns their own home. I see it every day and so for many people the american dream is becoming a reality but of course for this to take place it means another family lost their dream home to the bank and were forced to relocate into a rental or with family.
Tomorrow I head to San Francisco where I'll be working on Mission Street. In the afternoon I'll head over to Novato to see a little condo and then come back to visit the gym once again. It should be a good day.
So my good friends and wonderful family here we go again, into another week with opportunities to touch lives, make a living and find a way to make this old world better for someone.

Love

tim

No comments: