Friday, November 27, 2009

Winding it down

Dear Family and Friends,
I'm just back from a relaxing (who am I kidding) evening at my club. Right now my chest feels like it has been torn apart, muscles are screaming.
I'm just home and its 10:35. For sure one pretty much has the entire club to ones self late at night. Yet this evening I had a very meaningful encounter.
As I settled in to do my reps on one of the machines the guy next to me sat down and began to pump some serious iron. I mentioned the empty gym and he commented on how good it was that I was there taking charge. In the conversation Nan came up and that opened something for him. He lost his dad less than a year ago and he says his mom who is 52 is in deep depression for the loss. We were able to talk a bit about loss and recovery and it was a worthwhile interlude in a night at the club.
The last exercise I do just kills, it is taking this stupid blue ball that is about 16 inches high, you sit down and then roll forward until you are laying on the ball keeping your balance with your feet which need to be firmly planted. Then you began to do crunches, 12 of them in a row all the while trying to not fall flat on the floor. By #10 it feels like your gut will rip open and #12 is really intense. The only time that exercise feels good is when you are done and you can put that ball away!
Ken and I pounded the pavement this morning and then I came back to find Jason and Jo up. Timothy was in his little pjs and was so cute. He has a wonderful temperament, pleasant, gentle and curious. He was eating his oatmeal and loving every bite. I made toast and Jason fried some eggs, he had found some decent coffee and we included wheat toast and OJ. It was a lovely breakfast on a cold morning. Then they began to load their things and left around 10 for home. I can't begin to tell you what lift it was to have them here at home, the house vibrated with running water, patter of feet, machines running, stair chair going up and down, Timothy loved that ride with his daddy. Jason and Jo are such bright people that one can't help but learn things by just listening.
It was with a few, well actually a lot, of tears that I watched them drive around the corner and then they were gone. As long as we live on this old messed up earth our lives are a series of hellos and good byes, its a pattern of living in a busy world but oh those hellos are so wonderful!
My dear Nikki decided to take full advantage of the sales last night so at midnight she was in Antioch at Toy R Us and then at 5 am this morning she was at Target. She managed to get everything she was hoping for but has found chances to nap today as a result.
Once Jason and family were on the road then I set to work and have written a couple reports, fixed others and made excellent use of the remaining coffee (decaf) and my time in the office. Once again checks have appeared so I will be able to make the house payment in spite of it being over $400 more since my loan reset this month.
So I bid you all a good night,

love

tim

No comments: