Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Its winter alright..

Hi
Bob is right in commenting on the weather, it is winter all the time these days. Today I've spent my time on the road, car turned 160,000 miles and delivered an amazing 50 mpg, first time ever. I believe it was a strong tail wind coming home from Madeira last Friday. 501 miles and 9.9 gallons of diesel. That's more like it.
Ken and I walked this morning and actually enjoyed it, weather was not wet then and the stocking hat had to come off half the way around. Good news on the scales too, now down 10.5 lbs.
First stop was in Palo Alto, perfect older home with a huge Redwood tree guarding the back yard, nice people and decent comps in the 1.5 million range, second stop in Redwood City was totally different, nice little guy would not stop talking the entire time I was there, had parked cars and a large boat, trash piled inside and out, rough condition but new roof and good location near shopping. Probably worth $700,000 or so, after all it was 1011 sf. Yes I know, its an expensive area, very near Stanford University. Then I set the GPS for a place called the Railroad Cafe and it took me for a merry ride but never found the Cafe so I settled for Taco Bell. Then back on the road with the GPS set for Bay Point. I tired of the bickering of talk radio so started the CD player. My brother Jerry purchased a Fiero from me years ago, it had a CD player with about 14 CDs in it. He just returned the CDs the other day and I had loaded some into the player in the bug. So as I drove the hour from Redwood City to Bay Point I listened to music I had not heard in years, first up was the Phantom of the Opera. As the glorious sounds of the music filled the car I was taken back to an enchanted night long ago when Nan, the kids and me flew to LA and then drove to the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, where the Oscars are sometimes held, that night it was for the Phantom. We all enjoyed the experience very much and have often talked about it since. Nan was thrilled as she loved the music so much and the entire experience. So as I drove I remembered and started sobbing and driving and sobbing. You know both can be done at the same time quite well and I've learned the sobbing will eventually cease, that is until another glorious song comes on. So I drove and sobbed my way to Bay Point. I was reminded again of how very fortunate our family was to have such a woman with a love for music, good food, travel, shopping and especially for her family, her extended family. Nan was no average person, she excelled at life.
Tanya called today from New York. She and her husband Robert hold the walk for a cure of GIST every year in New York, nan went once and walked the whole way around the 3 mile path skirting the lake raising nearly $10,000 in the process due to your generosity and her dedication. I'm considering going and walking this year to see if I can raise a bit of funds to help with the search for a cure. Last year they raised over $500,000 which was given directly to researchers who are doing the work to find a cure. Tanya has GIST but is doing pretty well at the present time. They are amazing people and a hoot to be around.
After a very cold inspection of the little house in Bay Point I drove to UNO's pizza for soup and a small deep dish pizza. But this time half way through I realized that I was full and saved the rest for another day, that is progress!
Tomorrow morning we walk early, then I go to the Antioch Sutter Hospital for a Pulmonary Function Test. It is reported to be 1.5 hours in length. Then off to SF to inspect a property that has been updated, then back to Oakland to inspect another updated property, then to San Ramon for a driveby appraisal where we guess the condition of the interior and then back to the office. Once again today funds came in the mail, how nice that lenders are remembering our address again. Thank you Lord and also Loree for sending out statements.
My new blue tooth earpiece is not working well so if you call be prepared to hear nothing while I fumble and try to make it work, not good at all! AT&T is supposed to make it right in the morning. We'll see.
How are you doing? I know our thoughts are sure with Carrol as she goes to the clinic for numbers tomorrow. Those visits with doctors never get any easier. Our thoughts, our prayers are with you girl and caretaker Bob too.
So through the rain, the cold, the haze I go, thankful to have work and some purpose in life. How I value your comments to the blog and your individual emails. What you say helps a lot. I think we in the family are all functioning well, going about our daily routines but we all have a Nan sized whole in our hearts that reminds us of what we have lost and how fortunate we had it for the many years she was with us. Yes Nan, we miss you!

love

tim

4 comments:

Wes said...

TIM REACHES A NEW LOW!!!!!!!!!!

It's a good thing, it seems that he is less himself these days, about 10.5 LBS's less that is. That works out to 3 miles walked around the lake X 8 days over 6 bowls of oatmeal. We could have done better but some of the oatmeal is still stuck to the inside of the microwave. Don't worry about the rocky start. You are on your way and you have the results to prove it. So just keep going in the same direction.

A new plateau has be reached when you stop eating when you are full. Just add water and that will filler up the rest of the way.

Wes

ps I found some of the weight you lost if you want it back

Anonymous said...

Hey Tim, WOW, you are doing amazingly well. I started the CHIP program on Sunday and it is the best thing I could have done. Last night we had to set at least 5 goals and if we reach 5 (I set 6) we get paid back $10 for each goal (up to 5)that we reach at the end of our classes in one month. Well, I'm not going to let $50 bucks pass me by. One of my goals is to walk at least 40 minutes each day. I just finished my first 40 minutes (with the walker). The sun was shining and I saw a cayote. What an enjoyable walk seeings how I have been cooped up in this house for weeks with the rain and fog and drizzle. Ger is still in bed but I'm on a roll. You have been an encouragement to me...BIG time! You need to get off dairy products as much as possible as they are full of fat and it's fat that is really the culprit for diabetes, not sugar so much. Just learned that last night. I always thought sugar was the worst. Well, we were also told to NOT be "evangelists" and just let our results be the witness. Now my mouth is shut! ha!! Thank you, dear Lord, for the sunshine today! Love, Barbie

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

More good news! I hope your tests today bring even more good news.

The house is quiet again and the partying over. I took my sisters to Charlotte last night and we stayed in a motel since their flights both went out early this a.m. I'm back home now and needing to catch up on all I didn't get done while they were here. It was a special time though. Nothing like sisters! It seems the older we get the more important they are to me.

Keep up the good work on the walking and knowing when to stop eating. Good for you!!!

Love and prayers ~ Carol

Anonymous said...

Tim,

I had to get up early to walk with a friend yesterday - what I thought it would be an hour walk turned into two hours and through some beautiful areas but some pretty muddy, ask Art how much I like mudd. Overall, I really enjoyed the walk and talk other than I got a blister so today I go on the treadmill or the eleptical machine. I used to run 6-8 miles a day for 20 years but those days are gone and I'm glad that I can still walk without pain. I admire you for walking everyday I guess I just have to get up early and walk with Art but if I do that then he won't be talking on the phone as he likes to do so I let him have that fun. He continues to walk at 7:30 and in shorts regardless of the weather at least now he wears gloves!

Good luck with your medical tests.

----Connie