Monday, January 7, 2008

So much for root canals...

Dear Friends and Family,
Its 7:45 and classical music is playing in the background. Lammerding just called to offer a trade of his suv for the van. Actually I am interested in downsizing myself out of a car payment altogether. One way to give yourself a raise is to reduce how much you spend.
I could not stay in bed this morning due to extreme back pain, it hurts to the point that I can't take deep breaths. So up to work a bit, then my kind neighbor Ken let me walk with him. I made it part of the way and then turned back as I knew I had other things to deal with. Then the dental office called to ask if I could come in early so a quick shower and on the road. They were very nice at the office but my gag reflect eventually caused the doctor to put an end to the procedure without completing it. He was able to get the nerves out by drilling and prodding but suddenly the gag reflect that I had tried so hard to control took over. So now I get to do it the hard way, another appointment, this time with the oral surgeon who will put me out so the work can be done while I am in laalaa land. They will install a pole and rebuild the tooth from the inside out. Then I will need a crown and the cost resembles royalty. When I am finished saving this tooth will have cost nearly $2,500. Like the pastor said to me in the hallway of the church when I was letting him know we needed to shut down the recovery fund, he said perhaps the funds just received could help with the cost of this dental work. Somehow it seems God knows things better than I do and a special thanks to who ever sent that money. It took the panic out of the visit today knowing there were funds to help.
After the disappointing visit to the endodonist I drove home. After I got home I made lunch. The first attempt at using a microwave meal was a disaster, it burned beyond eating. So I started from scratch and made noodles, added some mushroom soup, made biscuits (first time I have ever done that), warmed green beans and drank low sodium V8 juice. All very tasty. then the phone rang and an appointment in Manteca that I had been seeking came through so I drove there with a tooth that was beginning to wake and complain. I measured the home, did the inspection, got to know the owners a bit and then shot the comps. By now the pain was making itself known and I was so sleepy so I found a parking lot and simply went to sleep. Sometimes the pain would wake me but not enough to do anything, then back to sleep. Later the phone rang and the second appointment for Stockton came through. I drove there and found a perfect little home with a gentle black senior citizen who was a delight. We ended up playing her grand piano and singing hymns together. She also slipped me an Advil which has done a marvelous job with the pain even to now.
On the way home I spoke to Nikki who had another ultrasound of the baby today and everything seems in order. She says she can begin to feel movement of the little baby which is very exciting to grandpa.
When I got home I was hungry for something soft. I'm told my tooth is very vulnerable right now and has very thin walls. When they have finished rebuilding it and a crown is in place it will be good for years but now an apple or anything hard might be to much. So I scrambled eggs as Dana taught me and then made two perfect pancakes. What a feast and along with some yummy 1% milk the meal was complete. This is major progress, I've made two meals in one day and I lived!
A nice thing about the appraisals I did today, both were paid for on the spot. That is a huge help to have money up front instead of waiting for months to pass before collecting. Thank you Lord for that surprise blessing.
Tomorrow morning I visit Dr. James Edwards, my own personal physician. Together we will review the results of the blood work last Friday. I am becoming much more aware of the health challenges I am facing and starting baby steps toward a healthier future. This months CostCo magazine had a couple really helpful articles for me. Your encouragement is appreciated so much as I do things I have forgotten how to do due to neglect over the past couple years.
I have enjoyed talking to Jason who called to find out about the root canal, Art who called to offer to come and help on Wednesday. I'm looking forward to his visit. We will do the Stockton Doctor consultation with the oral surgeon, then head to Hanford to do two appraisals and then drive home. Art will stay until Thursday and some company will be very nice. Mary and Pam called to see how I was doing.
I am thankful for life tonight.
Take care and stay healthy if you can,

love

tim

3 comments:

Wes said...

Well just another day before paradise!

Let's review. 2 appraisales completed. 2 meals cooked and eaten. 1 car deal and 1 tooth/dentist adventure. 1 nap and a few songs sung. An almost exercise period completed!

Yea, just anothe regular day. What did you do the rest of the time?

Wes

Bob & Carrol said...

Hi Tim,

Sorry about the Root Canal Problems but rest assured that things will get better.

Chail Saws are humming around here dealing with many downed Trees and 100's of feet of damaged Fences.

We are hoping for some better & warmer weather for the coming days and the weekend to get things dried out a bit .

By all means feel free to use the "Recovery Funds" for Your needs, that is what they are in place for.

Have a good day and know that We are thinking of & Praying For You.

Bob&Carrol.

Joyce & Glen Conner said...

Hi Tim,

Glen and I are thinking of you and are sympathetic with what you are going through. It was exciting to hear about Nikki being pregant; we hadn't heard yet. We can hardly wait two more weeks for Hannah's arrival. I have 11 more teaching days until retirement; I'm all signed up to receive Social Security, so I must be old! We love you.

Joyce & Glen