Saturday, January 26, 2008

Rest and Discovery

Dear Family and Friends,
This has been an interesting day. It started with a walk around the lake in pleasant weather with Ken. Without his gentle urging I probably would not have gone this morning. I woke feeling pretty rough, sore throat, sore most everything, felt feverish. Yet the walk did not make things worse, only better. Then back for a long shower with warm water, then find clothes that still fit and off to church in Tracy. My oatmeal blew up again but I think I've just about got it figured out now. It was rewarding to see so many friends at church and in spite of feeling pretty rough I did enjoy seeing all the wonderful Tracy people. Unfortunately I fell asleep during most of the service and I expressed my regret to the pastor afterwards, he was so kind and said, you did what you needed most during that time. He was right, I could hardly stay awake. After church I got a chance to see Fern for a few minutes. She is escaping New Hope to be with her daughter for a few days, weeks, until she can walk again on her own. I'm taking her a walker in the morning, I'd much rather have her using it than it sitting in the garage and I know Nan would be thrilled that Fern can benefit from the walker Sharon purchased for her so long ago. Then in the afternoon I had lunch with a long time friend down in San Jose. I learned so much and enjoyed the time spent very much. Then back home by way of Safeway where my decision to stop for a device to start the fire turned into $48 of vital things I decided I needed.
When I was in Tracy today Emily and Loren shared their recipe for the soup I've been raving about and also some other suggestions, some excellent bread they had baked and some outstanding oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies.
This evening when I got home and welcomed the dogs I fed them some treats, made some toast of wheat bread and peanut butter with applesauce over the top, built a roaring fire. Today was good to me in the mail department. I received payment for two big appraisals and the social security department decided to finally send a check which was promised the 4Th Wednesday of December. Still I am very thankful for being able to put it back into the personal account toward a rainy day.
Out of today I've learned to start deciding what I like to do, to begin to create a plan to achieve it and to turn up the heat on the medical tests. I'm tired of having this pain in my chest and if there is something wrong I need to know it and if not then I need to move on and forget it.
I do not want to gloss over how much it fills my heart with joy to get to rub shoulders with long time friends at church. These are precious people who the Lord has placed in my life, they are encouraging, faithful, positive and honest. What a blessing the Tracy SDA Church has been to our families lives over the years. While they are not perfect they are certainly wonderful.
This evening I got to talk to both Jason and Nikki and I could hear Timothy in the background crying. He woke out of a sleep having had a nightmare or something and he was not a happy little boy. I also got to see Keanna for a minute and she is battling some illness but was so sweet to give me a sticker and a hug.
Bob and Carrol often speak of looking forward to meeting loved ones when Jesus comes again. Oh the thought of seeing Nan again without a cancer ravaged body, what a blessed hope. Like Sharon says to all of us, we need to make sure we are tight with Jesus so His goodness can see us through to eternity. This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through....
This losing a loved one after so many good years is very hard work, ask Sylvia, Dolly, Roger and Carrol, Marilyns and so many others... yet as we talk to each other, gain strength and ideas of each other we can make progress, we can find happiness again. Those who we have lost would want us to find it and we need to pursue it.
So I say good night friends, good night family, to me you are the best in the world.

love

tim

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Tim,

Here's the 2nd try ~ the first one disappeared when I tried to edit it..... Oh well.

Yes, you did sleep in church, but you were there with friends and fellow believers and you gain strength and courage from just being there. It was far better than sitting at home all day alone in a cold empty house.

Dad glowed all day yesterday having all his family with him for his 93rd birthday. We ate lunch in the Inn and he said he enjoyed showing off his girls. My sisters feel Dad is much more feeble than he was in September when they last saw him. Now the hard part ~ the license must go! He even drove to the store on the snowy day only to find the store closed due to the snow. Sometimes I think he has to prove to himself that he can still do it. What a guy!

Soon you will get some answers to the pain in your chest. Your heart is breaking for Nan, but something else might be going on also. Recent studies have shown a definite connection with the physical heart and the emotional heart. The heart really is affected by emotional trauma. Interesting study.

May you have warmth, lots of work, many checks coming in, peace in your heart and direction in your life this week.

Love and prayers ~ Carol

Wes said...

Hip Hip Harray!! Tim Discovers What All College Students Have Been Looking For!

Yes friends Tim has discovered how to learn and sleep at the same time. For evidence I offer the following example of his success. Just yesterday he slept through Jim Witcome's seromon,"Don't Worry". Later that same day Tim writes in his blog some of the things that he has learned today," if there is something wrong I need to know it and if not then I need to move on and forget it(stop worrying about it)".

Tim will do other sleep learning work to see if he can comfirm these promising first results! We will advise you of any progress in that are..........zzzzzzzzzzz...a.

In the mean time it is good to see that Tim is filling up the vaccuum in his daily routine, left by Nan's untimely departure, with good works and caring for others. Fern as a needed walker. Nice move Tim. These and other acts of kindness on your part are filling your days with joy and for just the briefest moment you forget yourself and the pain that is there.

Congratulations and keep up the good progress toward more joyful days in the future!

Wes

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

Well another dreary damp day in Lodi. Carrol's Sister left this Morning for Her home in Chico. It was good to have Her here for a bit . Visit, Games and good food too.

The Clinic called friday and asked that We move Carrol's appointment to Wed 30th so again We will try to be patient and go with the flow.

Sure hopr that Your Chest discomfort can be dealt with and give You less of a problem very soon. No fun at all to be in Pain.

Just got a note from Jackson RANCHERIA THAT DUE TO STORM DAMAGE THEY HAVE BEEN FORCED TO CLOSE A LARGE PART OF THE GAMING FLOOR AND SO IN TURN HAVE MOVED THE GAME MACHINES INTO THE MAIN THEATRE HALL AND CANCELED ALL UPCOMING SHOWS & EVENTS. This means that We have to go Up in Person to get Our "Wayne Newton Show" tickets refunded. They will not do it on line or by phone. They did however give Us $50.00 Play Cash as a compensation for the inconvenience.

We will go up and take care of it in Feb when My Sister is here from Palm Springs.

Still waiting on word from the Insurance Co on the Storm damage claim. Their 48 Hours has turned out to be 5 days already.

Have a good Week , Stay Dry & Warm,

Bob & Carrol.