Monday, July 20, 2009

A very long day

Dear Family and Friends,
I've been thinking of many of you today as I spent hours in the car driving. Ken and I walked this morning and then I put some finishing touches on an appraisal and emailed it out. Then it was time to leave for Pleasant Hill to see a very nice home with about 9 little dogs yapping and falling over each other. Then it was on to Oakland to see a little house mounted on the side of a hill and in the process of measuring the back park I brushed against a bush with thorns and suddenly I was bleeding all over. I truly have thin skin these days. I finally got most of the bleeding stopped but the nice lady who is about 100 years old put a band aid on the last leaking puncture. After finishing the Oakland appraisal I drove back to Pleasant Hill to shoot comps photos. Then it was on to Patterson which is about an hour and 1/2 away. When I passed through Pleasanton I found traffic at a standstill so I detoured over to Red Robin for a Gardenburger. Oh I was ready to eat having not eaten a meal since breakfast and it was 5:30.
I rejoined traffic which soon picked up and moved well as I headed south on Highway 5. In Patterson I found a well kept 2 story home which is in foreclosure. I'm doing a REO report for the bank. The home with its 5 bedrooms and over 3,100 sf of living area will probably sell for about $160,000. I found over 100 houses either listed, pending or sold in a 1/2 mile radius around this home. To say that the market has recovered in that area would be incorrect. It is pathetic right now. These homes would have sold for nearly $500,000 three years ago and now $145,000 to $185,000. We have huge problems in California and they are not fixed yet.
I was very thankful to have 3 appraisals to inspect today and I have another one that was called in for Discovery Bay for 9 m in the morning. It will be cash on the spot, always nice. And yes the postman was good to me today. A couple were paid for. Thank you Lord.
Ken says we walk at 6:30 so I'm going to run along to bed. I had a nasty encounter with Direct TV today. When I had the system installed I was promised by the person taking my information that at any time I wanted to turn off one of the receivers for the extra bedrooms I could do so and later I could have it turned back on. Well of course that is not true. I went to turn off the extra bedroom receiver today and save $5 a month but was told a box would come in the mail, I would ship it back to them. If I ever wanted one for that room again it would be $69 plus $19 to get it back. A totally different story from what I was told when I was signing up. Is there any company that keeps its word anymore? Somehow I doubt it.
Good night dear friend and family,

love

tim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You and Rick could have a conversation about Direct TV. They are nuts, nuts nuts!! You just have to be persistent, and keep calling back. They can't keep any story straight, but if you get mad enough, sometimes you can get your rates restructured and wind up paying less. Course, that's all subject to an immediate about-face in what they said, and for no apparent reason!!
Hope you're doing well. I think of you often, and read your blog every day or two. Hang in there.
Love ya, Judy (Cate)