Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Back to work

Dear Friends and Family,
Well after several days without orders some FHA orders came through today. Some were for local locations which was a real change. The phone has been pretty busy today but I so regret missing Arts calls when he tried to reach me from Mexico. Both times I could not get switched over quick enough and missed him. I have no idea of how to call him back, I tried but of course I was denied.
This morning I had to walk alone as Ken was tied up in the early morning appointments. This is his season, taxes, so he needs to cram all he can in while there is work to do. I sure understand that. We are walking at 6 in the morning, that will be way before dawn so should be interesting. Ask me if we have anything on our clothes that reflects, NO. So we just move quickly when a car comes near. Some days the walking seems like work and today walking by myself it seemed like that. Half way through the walk I came across a little fur ball of a dog running up and down the sidewalk. Finally I caught up with him / her and bent down low so I could read the address on the tag. I found the address and knocked and range, no answer of course so what to do. I kept thinking of what I would want someone else to do if they found Starr or Lady wandering around. So I stayed with it until the little dog headed between houses and suddenly squeezed through a tiny hole under the gate and was back home where he / she belonged. Then I could resume my walk.
Today I've collected COD for 3 appraisals, I did not start the day out expecting that but I'll take it. So tomorrow I can make a decent little deposit again. I am very thankful for the income as the first of the month has health care at $648, life insurance at $150 and other smaller bills, like Fastrac for going across bridges in the area, Vontage phone service for the house line, bank fees, it all adds up.
For those of you who write encouraging comments to me personally or to the blog from the bottom of my heart I thank you. I take comments to heart and find reasons to go on. Thanks so much. I was especially glad to hear from Keith, they finished their trip home to Canada, found the mice had been busy but are getting settled back in after being away for a few months. They have a nice place that is about as close to the border between the states and Canada as you could find. Keith had encouraging words.
This afternoon I spent over an hour just taking photos of properties that have sold here in Discovery Bay. Some are so sad, dead lawns, broken windows. Everyone of those who lost their homes back to the banks have a story to tell. Yet the actual percentage of homeowners who are in mortgage problems is very tiny compared to all those who pay their payments or who already own their homes outright. Once again our media has blown a sad situation way out of bounds and never report the millions of home owners who may have bad loans but are still faithfully making their payments on time every month.
I am hearing from people I have not worked for in many years. They are placing orders and act like we are old friends and I struggle to remember ever knowing them. However Nan would have told you my memory was a piece of work, not that good of work. It learned her birthday 1/22/52 because every medical event or procedure was only done after I told them her birth date. I still keep her social sec. number written in my little monthly book as that was vital as well. Local Realtors are referring work to me regularly, Cathy Marples is one of those special people who refer work, she has done it many times and it really makes a huge difference for me. Thanks Cathy and others who also refer.
Today I lost 5 appraisal orders because the value was not there for the loan they needed. I cannot in clear conscience take an order and complete the appraisal knowing the value is so low that no loan is possible. It does not seem honest or fair to the dear homeowners. So we call the loan officer and let them know there is a problem and they make the decision as what to do next. Usually it means the work gets cancelled. In these times that is hard to take but it goes with the territory.
I try to start the day before I even roll out of bed thanking the Lord for yet another day, for precious and successful kids, for beautiful grandchildren, for friends, for family all over the place. Before I get up I take my blood pressure every day, it is usually about 110 over 60 with a pulse of 57. Then I get up and dogs look at me and snuggle under the covers for a few more minutes before finally getting up too. I keep the room cold and hurry into my walking clothes, moan as I bend over to put on the shoes and then head downstairs to take the blood sugar which is usually too high at 125 to 150, then its time to walk. Oh that the rest of the day was as predictable as the first part.
Now its time to rest, I think I've earned it today.
Do you remember Wes Huffman, the guy that used to write such clever things. I think he is on strike, he may want more money for his writings or more fame, not sure but I sure do miss him and his wit.
I'm hoping for a less stressful day for you tomorrow, for more joy, for more love and for financial success as well.
love from my house to yours, from my heart to yours as well.

lv

tim

3 comments:

Deborah W said...

Hi Tim, I'm glad to hear you have work again. So do I! I also had the chance to attend two free workshops in Napa and, since I used to work for Napa County, it was a good opportunity to re-connect with former co-workers. It was good to see my friends. You are sweet to mention me in your blog now and then (it's not necessary). I enjoy reading your blog; I had to laugh at you moaning to bend over and put on your shoes -- I can identify with that!

Anonymous said...

And a very good spring morning from NC!
The red bud, bradford pears, daffodils, weeping cherry trees, tulips, hyacinths are all in full bloom and the azaleas, rhododendrons and wisteria have not yet begun to bloom. Nothing like NC in the spring time (or anytime).

Tim, your reputation as an honest appraiser is paying off. Yes, you may have lost a few orders yesterday, but those same bankers remember that you are honest and will be back. The orders coming in from past clients is a good indication of that.

We conquered the basement!!! After 2 truck loads of "stuff" to the land fill and 2 truck loads to Good Will, a truck load to community service, and one to the church school yard sale ~ we have our basement back!!! Oh it feels so good to get rid of the stuff that encumbers us. There is still more to go through, however. Roger was amazed at how technology has changed through the years. Replacement parts for the old TV antenna systems, old plumbing, etc. are obsolete. A lot of that stuff came with the property. My Dad still has a lot of stuff stored here that we cannot get rid of as long as he is alive. We did get rid of his trash though.

So, my friend, have a good day. May it be productive and filled with good things.

We love you ~ Carol

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

Well it's back to Shorts for Me again, really got warm today.

Good Lunch at the Center today and I spent the afternoon cleaning the House, took My walk first. Laundry tomorrow and Band Concert Sat in Stkn then "Christian Edition" at the Church for Vespers. Always enjoy their Music.

Choir Practice went well last evening and again We send greetings from Glen & Joyce. We will be Singing on the 26th for the 11:00 service,three numbers I think. Maybe You can make it over this time. Lunch at Woodbridge afterwards.

Tomorrow Our New Yard Man tackles the Yard We have High hopes that He is the right one for the Job.Yards are not My Cup of tea. Cars & House Keeping & Cooking are more My line.

Have a good weekend,

Love You,

Bob & Carrol.