Monday, April 14, 2008

Out of the wind..

Dear Family and Friends,
It is windy here or at least it was today. Work required that I travel a couple hours on I-5 today and between hitting blowing tumbleweeds and fighting the gusts I made it to a little town down in the valley where I enjoyed seeing a well kept home with little doggies and several kitties too. With Newman behind me I headed back into the wind. I actually had to slow down from my normal 70+ as the trucks were all over the road and I could feel the effects of the wind gusts on the car. After I turned to Byron Highway an oncoming truck kicked something up and it hit my window right in front of my face, for a second I wondered what next but it was not a brick and I am still very much alive. That gets ones attention. Not willing to go another day without my precious fish oil pills I drove into Brentwood to Longs and picked them up, then back to Disco to see a very nice, updated and appealing place, then I decided to head back to town for some cat litter, our supply has finally ended after about 6 months from the present box. On the way in I discovered I was very hungry, 6 inch subway garden burger on wheat bread subs only last so long. Then I decided to face yet another memory and went to Grazies, a nice place located in old town Brentwood. They were almost empty and after a meal of homemade soup and house salad, you know one with Gorgonzola Cheese, diced tomatoes, various types of greens, walnuts and house dressing I left very satisfied. nan and I loved to eat there and often found some excuse to to to somewhere special and ended up there. I managed the meal without sadness, just very pleasant memories. Then Foodmax, a local place that sells groceries cheaper. I picked up a few things and found original grillers for $2.50 a box, I think that is cheaper than what I normally pay. Oh yes and some kitty litter. Then a quick trip home, unload the purchases, greet the dogs, admire the fish tank, tidy up the kitchen, cut and eat 1/2 an avocado on some rugged toast, do some more cleaning of the kitchen and finally I am in the work chair writing to you my dear friends.
Tomorrow Art drives back from the desert by himself with Connie deciding to stay a few more days and enjoy the good weather. Art has dental appointments which he cannot avoid.
This evening I turned the TV on while I was working in the kitchen and found a special about Walt Whitman. What an interesting guy and what dedication to the soldiers during the civil war. I can't remember learning about him but I'm sure I did in Academy under our beloved Ms Dunston, Loren's sister. That was back in Laurelwood near Portland and I was a teen. In spite of my terrible behavior in her class she was kind to me and really touched my life.
This morning I went back to Dr. Whitted to have additional eye tests. The results were positive and it appears I do not have glaucoma at this point. That was good news, really great news.
Now its bed time again, Ken has called and in spite of tomorrow being his day, he is an accountant and prepares tax filings for lots of people we are walking at 7 in the morning. I feel privileges knowing how busy he is these days.
I intend to visit Jason and Jo this weekend and take the motorhome. I hope to get away early on Friday and hope to be able to help him do some yard work he has been contemplating. Of course I will get to spend time with young Timothy who is mobile these days crawling up a storm. What a guy!
Sending love to each and every one of you, whatever the challenges you face there is Someone who stands ready to assist and guide.
love

tim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning from NC!

Yes, we're still here ~ just been busy. Well, it sounds like you have been busy also with all the coming and going, grand kids, work, eating out, etc. And oh yes, cleaning out that fish tank. I'll bet that star fish is super happy! I can't believe you didn't lose any fish. I had a fresh water tank for several years and really enjoyed it. Then one day I stopped to think about what I could eliminate in my life and decided the fish were more work than pleasure. Out they all went! I never missed them.

Yesterday we had a surprise ~ it snowed! I think of you with 90 degree weather and it seems so unreal. We had been enjoying 70 degree weather and then snow? Yesterday's high was 43. Today should be in the 50's and 70's by Thursday. We had frost warnings last night, but it's still too dark outside to see if it happened. I just checked the temperature and it looks like 38. No frost! The strawberries and apple crop are safe.

Today is my "catch up" day with my personal stuff ~ you know, like laundry, cleaning, sorting...... It never seems to end and I always seem to be a little behind. Oh to retire someday!

Tim, I'm so happy for you that you can begin to enjoy "sweet memories" without the sadness connected to it. You did have many special memories together. They will always be a vital part of your life.

We love you ~ Carol