Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Learning curve, harder for the elderly!

Dear Friends and Family,
I'm just back from an enjoyable time with Steve, Nikki and Keanna. Tonight was Keanna's tumbling class in Brentwood. When Nikki reminded me it was just the escape I had been looking for so I drove the van in and observed Keanna in action, Nikki went grocery shopping and then we connected at the El Camino, a long time Mexican eating place for the family. Keanna colored, ate rice, chips, tortilla and sipped her drink. We all enjoyed our food and lively conversation. Nikki has a new boss at last and she is rather excited about that, things go better when you have on the scene direction. Nikki has been faithful about working out at the club in spite of her pregnancy and so far has only gained between 2 and 5 lbs, depends on what time of day she weighs. That's really good and she is pleased. This evening she had on an outfit that Pam got for her on a recent shopping trip. It is beautiful.
I've been learning how to work with Microsoft Excel. The most challenging part so far has been to get it to accept photos. Finally I thought I had it made this afternoon and sent it off only to discover it had been rejected by the server at the lender, probably because it was nearly 10 megs in size. So I've resent it in hopes it will work. Why it is so huge I'm not sure. I often have as many photos in an appraisal but the entire report is converted to PDF while this one had to go back in JPEG format. I've spent two days on creating these two simple reports that pay only $90 a piece and but I've done it in the hopes of learning how to manage excel. I guess the learning curve is longer for the elderly!
For lunch today I decided that the avocado was finally ready, I was so right. It tasted like butter, so good. I also had V8 juice, low salt version.
My weight was down the last couple days, lowest yet which is great news. I'm going to share something with you tonight which will really put me on the spot. Keith Tall is so involved in helping me lose weight that he offered the following. If in one year my weight is down 60 lbs he will write me a check for a $1,000. Is that amazing or not. But it really puts the burden on me to do what it takes to develop a long range program to drop the weight, not on a short term basis but for the long haul. As Keith so rightly said, my weight is the key to everything for me, heart, diabetes, blood pressure and so it goes. There are no shortcuts, no quick answers but a significant change in how I approach life, food, emotional health is required. I don't have it all figured out yet but I want to publicly thank Keith for the generous challenge. For now his money is safe but he has my attention. Are there those of you who would like to join with me in striving for a spring 2009 miracle? So far I have watched my body fat vs muscle ratio change from an awful 43 to a slightly less awful 37 in the past 4 months. I have lost about 11 lbs so far, feel much much better, have more energy and no longer dread walking places, even into the super market. Now I think I can probably walk about anywhere without puffing and huffing. Today my friend Karen wrote a personal email to me from her home in Georgia. She has started walking but lives in an area of hills so has developed a circle to walk in her home and has been at it for some time now and is already feeling benefit from her thousands of steps. I have volunteered to help Steve and Nikki as they change the carpet on their second floor. In anticipation of the new baby their old carpet needs to go and they will need lots of help moving things from room to room as the carpet is laid. The old me would have made sure I was out of town to avoid having to do hard labor, now I look forward to helping.
Keith knows of what he speaks, in the past few years he had to have some bypass surgery. You'd never know it as he is the most active person you could ever imagine, plays ice hockey, works hard on his ranch but even he got hit with closed arteries. Now he has his weight under control at around 142 lbs. He's a walking miracle and a real advocate for controlling weight. I thank him for his challenge and I accept the challenge. Now to work on it....
Ken and I walked this morning, the morning weather before sun up is cold but after a few blocks the body heats up and gets into the swing of things. Ken walks me hard it seems. He's been walking for a much longer time and could probably go a longs ways further than we do. This is his season, he does taxes for a living so he works long hours this part of the year.
Its been fun to read the emails I've received today. I'm always glad to hear that my friends are doing well and yes I get the message, the bug has to go in for service, either that or I may be doing a whole lot more walking than I do now.
Tonight I filled the van and it was over $60, that's a first, I remember groaning when it hit $40 for a fill up. How times change.
Well my good and faithful family and friends, here's hoping you have a good evening, a restful night and a blessed tomorrow. Its the only chance you are going to get to live tomorrow so lets all give it our best.
love from here to you

tim
ps consider your options regarding your health, lets share ideas together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, your friend really threw down the gauntlet, didn't he? :) Have you ever considered Weight Watchers? It works well, it's healthy, and it is an extra dose of inspiration to go stand on someone else's scales and be accountable for your weekly actions. There are people there who are struggling with similar situations and have great ideas. I think you might really enjoy it. There are local chapters all over the place. My sister's husband is doing it, and he's lost about 13 lbs in about 5 weeks. It's slow and steady, and you're aleady working on the walking part. Vegetables are a big part of it, and that's a plus for you too as a vegetarian. Just a thought.
I read your blog every day and think of you frequently hoping that you are doing well. I'm proud of your progress.
With love, Judy (Cate)

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

Here’s a note from someone who “takes” inspiration from your blog every day but doesn’t very often “give” any comments back. Kind of selfish, huh! But I do pray for you regularly.

Having formerly been self-employed, I can certainly relate to scary financial times. Yet we know that God will supply all our needs, according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:19) You’ve been operating your appraisal business like a ministry—not just appraising homes, but also ministering to the occupants—so I’ll pray that God will send you to the homes where your ministry is needed and supply your financial needs in the process.

Until business picks up, maybe you could start working on that book??

Blessings,
Bev Scott