Sunday, May 11, 2008

Home from MBA




Dear Family and Friends,
I've been reading about fellow GIST patients in the Life Raft Digest. How I relive the feelings, hopes and fears we experienced over the years as I read of others situations. Oh that a cure could be found or even another breakthrough, right now ones best chances are if Gleevec keeps working or Sutent picks up the slack and starts to work. From there on there is a maze of maybe's but nothing that for sure people can count on.
I've just returned this evening from MBA and Jason and Jo's place. I had a nice safe and slow trip home. No reason to rush the motorhome as it gets much better fuel economy when not pushed. I found the trip to be exactly 100 miles from portal to portal if there are no stops for food or fuel along the way. I arrived there on Friday evening about 9, parked and had a nice talk with Jason as we relaxed on his wonderful couches. I rose late on Sabbath morning, took Starr and Lady for a short walk, then went to outside church and then the whole school headed to the SF zoo for a great afternoon. Timothy loved the creatures and was awake all afternoon. He gave his folks a bit of a rough time last night but was in great form this morning. The dogs drove me out of bed around 8 and we took off for a long walk. We reached the beach and found it deserted. As I walked along the breakers I had a long talk with my Lord about things in my own life that are in the way of health and a future. Then the phone rang, Jason was urging me to return as He and Jo had decided on brunch at Marie Calendars in Capitola. He actually came to meet me and along with two tired dogs I piled in and was driven back to the motorhome. He gave me 15 minutes to get ready so a quick shower and a time to dress and we were on our way. They had planned right, we were there so early that we walked right in, were seated and were eating omelets in no time. What a feast of fine food. Then back home, Jason and took a quick trip to OSH which was having a no sales tax day so we got a few things he needed around the place, formula (wow is that stuff expensive) and home again. Then Jason and Jo decided to attend a film festival nearby so Clayton and I watched Timothy. He put me through the paces, 20 minutes after they left he woke up with a very wet diaper, Clayton had to locate a new diaper for me to change. Then we tried a bottle which he drank down to the last drop, then an hour later I fed him some very yummy sweat potatoes which when his parents came home he was still wearing all over his face.
Then Jason and I fixed some wires that always hang too low over the motorhome, he cleaned the gutters all around and then it was time for me to go. I prepared the coach for travel, drew in the slide, locked up the cabinets and frig, turned the seats forward, told the dogs to hold on and we were off.
The property I had to see in San Jose was located on one of the most narrow streets I have ever seen. Of course parking was a real challenge since the motorhome is 29 feet long. I quickly inspected the house, found comps and then drove the comps following the lead of the GPS. That took some doing but soon I was able to punch in take me home and it found the freeway and the way home. It was an uneventful trip, sometimes Starr would come over and put her paws up on my leg and needed assurances and then would go back and rest on the floor in front of the passenger's seat.
It felt good to be home again and the dogs raced in to reclaim there space and to drive the cats out. I made some quick dinner and now I'm talking to you. I'm planning on a more disciplined week, earlier to bed, smaller meals, more attention to working, less depression and wandering aimlessly about and more production. Please pray that I will allow God to guide with His will in mind.
At this point in my life just even hearing the voices of my 4 children and 2 grandchilden is like music to me. So spending time with them was very special indeed and while there I got to have a nice conversation with both Nikki and Keanna as well. If I have much advice it would be along the lines of this, take the trip, take the drive to see your grandchildren and your children, there is nothing more important to them or to you. make the effort to stay close, to be helpful, to share the wealth, the knowledge, the love. As human being it is so easy to think of ourselves first and foremost. Wrong! We need to move beyond ourselves and reach the lives of others and actively care, a visit is much more powerful than a phone call or an email. Do it and do it often, you will never be sorry you cared too much.
So I send my love to first my family and then to the wider family that cares.

love

tim
ps a few photos of the area we tilled up recently and the view of the ocean from the new little patio Jason created.

No comments: