Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's day breakfast at the Shipleys!

Dear Family and Friends,
This day could not have started off better! Nikki invited me to join them for breakfast, brunch really and it was great. While Nikki prepared perfect Belgium waffles and pancakes and scrambled eggs I had the high honor of holding little miss Kallie. She did her amazing thing, stretched and reached, opened her eyes wide and snuggled in while drinking from her bottle. She would doze and then wake to drink more, smile and wrinkle up her face. Keanna kept watch to make sure I was doing everything right. When breakfast was ready Kallie was ready to snooze for a bit. We enjoyed the perfect food and everything just seemed right with the world. Steve and Nikki have created a beautiful home with outstanding landscaping, looks like the tropics, decorated the interior of the home with crown moldings, tile floors with a bit of carpet, built-in entertainment center. They have worked very hard to get it all together and its very nice and friendly to relax in.
After breakfast I traveled back home, about a 10 minutes drive, and began to start on projects. During the day Dana called to give us the sad news that her grandmother duties have again caused her to put off her trip west. There is just no one else to watch the little 3 year old and 6 year old children and family does come first. We totally understand and are disappointed at the same time. Just come when you can Dana, we will be delighted to have you arrive.
I've been working on setting up a better filing system today and while tedious tonight I'm in better shape than I was this morning file wise. I've also found time to tweak the reef tank a bit and get the protein skimmer working again, repair a pump that moves water around rapidly in the tank and scrape some red algae off the front of the glass. Ken and I walked this morning in perfect 65 degree weather and solved the world's problems once again.
When I arrived home this evening after a pleasant meal at Olive Garden I found my new neighbors had already rolled the garage can out to the street, talk about service! They also installed a little device that encourages the dogs NOT to bark, wonderful!
I've been doing laundry, load after load of it today, folded sheets (how does one fold fitted sheets anyway) and prepared to mop the floor, of course I've been planning to mop for over two weeks now. This evening I stopped at Safeway for flax seed, of course I found none but I did walk out with $67 worth of groceries again. How does this happen, I had 4 tiny sacks of food. While I was at Safeway I ventured over for fuel. While I was out this afternoon the price of diesel had dropped from $5.05 to $4.99 and with the 10 cent discount became $4.89. The car had gone 575 miles this time, the most ever on a tank and the mileage was 43.09. I expected better. Still not bad, better than most hybrids and I don't have to worry where the batteries will go when they fail. I turned 171,000 miles this evening and one wonders just how much longer I can count on it being faithful. I've been hoping the check engine light would burn out so I don't have to look at it anymore but so far no luck.
I hope your Fathers day was very special to you. I had a very nice thing happen today as I waded through deep stacks of papers, I came across the anniversary card Nan gave me for 2007. You could tell by the spelling and the frail handwriting she was having a tough day but I will treasure that card, on the front it says Husband, Father, Friend and inside it says, For all you are, all my love. and its signed in her beautiful handwriting, love ya, Nan. Talk about a card that keeps on giving and to think I found it today. Very nice.
And so my friend the days unfold. This has been a weekend of rest, of taking chances with singing, playing, venturing out, of family love as we had breakfast together. I know where I belong, right where I'm at surrounded by family, by friends.
For those of you who like to read before you go to bed, I do apologize, I had no thought of being up this late but it happened once again. I'll do better tomorrow night!

love to all,

tim

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Timbo, You are so upbeat! Great!! Gerry and I went to Subway for Father's Day 6" sandwiches....and we enjoyed it! He has ordered a new 21 speed bike so we decided that would be his Father's Day gift. Mike called from Hawaii and had a nice chat with his Dad and then Dennis called and chatted. Jeni and Dan came down from Tahoe and they (Den, Lyn, Jen, Dan) had gone white water rafting. Sounds like you had a good time at the Shipley's! Next time we come down to you place I want to go over to Nikki's and see what all they have done. Have a good week! Love, Barbie

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

Just back from the Clinic and again Carrol's numbers were good enough to allow Her to be off Chemo for another two months. We are very thankful and Pray that this will continue.

Dr & Dentist appointments tomorrow followed by Insurance appointment in the PM. Hope this will be the last of that stuff for a long time to come. So much red tape & monkey business but so necessary to keep the coverage curent. What would We do with out it !!

Have a good week, sorry about Dana not coming.

Love You

Bob & Carrol.

Deborah W said...

Hi Tim, Happy Father's Day (a little late)! I have missed reading your blog and just now got all caught up. I was in the L.A. area all weekend for my son's wedding. Talk about a joyous event! I'm now a mother-in-law and my son's wife is the sweetest thing you can imagine. They make a great couple and I know they will be happy. Got to get caught up on my own blog now! Warmest regards, as always, Deborah