Friday, June 6, 2008

Pam recovers

Dear Family and Friends,
I'm relaxing at home after an interesting visit with Pam this evening. She has had a decent night and today she mostly slept. The pain is starting to get better. Joshua Want is staying with her helping her and keeping her company. He's doing a great job. Earlier I enjoyed soup and salad at Marie Calenders. Leave it to Bob to have coupons and a deal. Because it was his birthday we all had a free piece of pie, I had strawberry and it was great.
I walked late this morning, woke and since I had no walking appointment rolled over and finally Starr kicked me out of bed. I wrote an appraisal, dealt with some business issues, picked up the battery charger from the motorhome, dropped the tiny frig off at Nikki's house, made a tiny deposit at the bank.
I am starting to get the boat ready for a maiden voyage for this season. It has been two years since I've been in the boat. Steve had kept good care of it buying a perfect cover for it and making it run better. Of course the battery was totally dead and was out of water in the cells so I found the distilled water, filled them, fixed the battery charger and it is now getting a boost.
I'm glad this week has come to a close. Tomorrow I will get to take Keanna to Sabbath School and that will be great.
My amazing daughter loaded up her girls this morning and drove to Livermore for lunch with her friends from the Lab where she normally works, then to the mall for pictures. They were running a special so it took a very long time. Then a quick trip to see Stephanie who fed Kallie two bottles and then Nikki headed home. I can't wait to see the photos. Nikki did not plan to make such a huge day of it but it turned out that way. Steve was wondering where she had gone as evening came on.
On a totally different subject the book Sylvia lent me, Eat More, Weigh Less by Dean Ormish has some really good stuff. The chapter I am working on right now raises the issues surround why we eat when we know better, why we keep eating when we are not hungry, issues about belonging, about feeling isolated, about living in a world now that values being individual and independent. He talks about the way things used to be where people spent lots of time with a number of people including family, we all knew we belonged but now we are so far apart that we often eat to satisfy the loneliness, not just for fuel. I'm deep into the chapter but one comment was meaningful to me. He said never eat while doing anything else, not listening to music, not watching TV, not working, reading. Make the process of eating an enjoyable one by itself, in other words let the texture, temperature, taste of the food create their own moments. He said he'd rather have one bite of excellent ice cream and let it slowly melt, savoring the taste, the coldness, the moment instead of a dish of fake stuff eaten while watching TV where there is little awareness of the taste, totally missing the joy and goodness of the food. Are these new ideas to you, they certainly are to me. I never give a thought to how it tastes, just cram it down and get it over with so I can do something really important.
I'll share more as I read more and I tell you as my witnesses that I intend to live a different life, one with a weight level of 150 not 225. At this point I have no idea of how to break the cycles that keep me where I'm at but I'm not giving up, I want my grandchildren to be proud of their grampa, not have to explain why he is so heavy. Wow this is hard.
Hope your week worked for you. Take time this weekend to love someone near you, just forget yourself and love them.
yours,

Tim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Tim,

It was so good to enjoy last evenings Dinner & Visit with you at Marie's.

We are going to spend the Day getting some much needed rest from the daily grind. So many issues to deal with. Sabbath is to be a Day of Rest and We intend to do just that.

These Gas prices are fast getting to be no "Laughing" matter. Thursday while We were watching the weekly Movie Feature at the Senior Center We were interupted by the local Police telling Us that a Maroon Dodge had been stolen from right in front of the Center (1:30 pm) broad daylight and security cameras in full function. One of the ladies had to call Her Husband to come & pick Her up as Her Dodge was GONE only a pile of broken glass fragments remained. She had just filled the tank. The Officer said that the thief might have been watching that fill up and needed gas so (She left the keys in the Ignition) He broke the window of the "Locked " door and drove off. He is on the Security film but so far No Dodge to be found!!

Have a restfull Sabbath and enjoy Your Grand Daughter.

Love & Prayers,

Bob & Carrol.

Deborah W said...

Hi Tim, I'm intrigued by the book you are reading and think I will try to get it at the Benicia library. As encouragement to you, it's been my experience that as I eat healthier and exercise, my body begins to "ask" for the healthy foods, and not the junk food. My guess is our bodies know what we need -- we just don't let our brains listen! Good luck with your goals; I'm rooting for you!