Monday, September 7, 2009

Home safe

Dear Family and Friends,
I arrived home at 10:30 this evening after an uneventful drive of 6 hours. This time I decided that I was in no hurry so I would drive just 55 mph and it looks like I managed about 11.3 mpg for the entire trip up and back which is just at 600 miles. Coming home was a pleasure in spite of heavy traffic as the slow lane is dominated by large trucks and their drivers were very accommodating. I stopped once in Redding for fuel and the tank was pretty low I think. At that point I put in 23 gallons and drove home with one stop at a rest stop somewhere to get more drinks up front. The doggies settled in for the trip and seemed to have a great time.

This morning when I entered the house it was with pleasant surprise that I discovered Suzie sitting up at the breakfast table with a pillow in her arms and a 2 month old baby peering up at her and she looking down on him. Later she had some peaches that we picked yesterday and we spoke briefly. She was having a good day.

Jerry and I headed out to the forest for a good hike midday and walked between 3 and 4 miles. Along the way we say evidence of a snake crossing the path, coyote, rabbits, birds and then we arrived at the trails end where a small stream comes right out of the mountainside. It runs cold and pure and has small mountain trout darting about. It was a beautiful sight with tall trees all around, cool breezes, the mountain looming in the background.

By the time we got back I was really ready to get off my feet and headed for a quick meal of a garden burger and some cottage cheese with a peach and some peach ice tea. I also hit the little shower in the motorhome which works so well and is so refreshing. After that I felt more human and went back in. Wayne and his wife had joined the group. He is Donna's son and lives nearby. His wife is a lovely woman and seems to fit right in with the group. As I prepared to leave I went to Suzie's bedside and not wanting to wake her I just paused for a moment to place her once again in the good Lord's hands and then turned and left. As I drove home Jerry called to say she asked where I was and I told him to tell her that I left her with a prayer.

Last night was really cool and this morning I discovered through sleepy eyes why. During the day I had opened the rear power vent and while it had stopped blowing cool air it did not close itself so I had slept all night with the night air pouring in and down around me on the bed. No wonder the dogs stayed so near and in spite of an extra blanket it was still cold. Because this is mountain country already the nights are approaching 40 degrees.

Jerry insisted on filling my outside compartments with firewood which I appreciate very much. This trip the motorhome performed perfectly and with a higher air pressure it drives better, gets better mileage and even stops much quicker. Isn't it interesting how little things add up and can make such a difference.

For me this was a wonderful trip in spite of the basic reason for going, to see Suzie one more time. In the process I deepened my connection to this marvelous family and had my own spiritual and emotional batteries recharged. I know many of you understand how life can sort of beat you down and you end up existing day by day but then you go on vacation or take a long weekend and suddenly life becomes more clear and meaning begins to be recharged in ones thinking. This has been a very good experience and the cost was reasonable, $159.53 for the round trip.

I wonder how your labor day weekend went? Were you able to renew your life batteries? I certainly hope so. Traveling so far also gave me opportunity to have long quality time with friends on the phone through the blue tooth earpiece. Coming home I enjoyed hours of old time radio programs that are broadcast on XM radio. Stories certainly help the hours go by. The first part of the trip home from Weed to Redding I listed to the classical programming from XM and it was outstanding. I heard several pieces of music that are favorites and that too helps list spirits.

So tonight I write with a thankful heart.

love to all,

Tim

1 comment:

Bob and Carrol. said...

Hi Tim,

Good to read that You had a good trip and are Home safe again.

We continue to Pray that the Lord will hold & comfort Susie & Her Family in His Loving Hands.

We have a full week ahead with the Trip to Portland on Friday AM. Looks like We are going to have a week of Good Dry Weather up there! I'll believe that when it happens.

Have a good Week,

Love You,

Bob & Carrol.