Sunday, June 7, 2009

With a grateful heart.........

This has been an interesting Sunday. First the walk which went very well. Then breakfast which this morning had links, oatmeal, egos, banana. Then off to help a friend moves boxes and furniture. Home again about 5 and began to work on appraisals, then a load of washing and once again enjoyed getting the clothes dried in ONE cycle of the dryer, I'm still in owe of that as for many years its taken two to four cycles before the clothes are finally nearly dry. Oh the energy I have wasted in the process!
This evening Lois and Ray invited me over for banana bread which was perfect and now I'm back ready to go to bed. Tomorrow will have to be a intense work day as I have things that are stacking up now. Am I complaining? No way, I'm reveling in having work in this terrible time for America where so many have lost their jobs or been cut way back. I'm thankful for the blessings I received. And while I'm on the subject of thanks.
When ever I reflect on the past few years I am struck with how many times friends and family came to the rescue. As Nan's condition worsened she had just one request, I'd like to see everybody. I let that be know and in 24 hours family and friends came to be near her. While I slept on a little cot in her room Sharon slept in our portable reclining yard chair and Dana made frequent trips back and forth to home. Nikki and Jason came as often as they could and Jan made the trip from Denver, a little earlier David and Jo had come out too. Irene came to visit as did Pam and George and Yvonne, Art and Connie, Dolly came to pray and dozens of friends and family were with us through phone calls and emails. Sometimes I hear people who have gone through the same process of losing a loved one and they have horror stories of negative comments, bazaar behaviors. I have only positive memories of how well we were supported and cared for. Our beloved pastor Jim came and nan shared her heart, Mary from travel came, Sylvia came.
I have known an experience that few will ever know, I have been humbled by it, lifted through it, guided and blessed. While Loree kept the business going with Steve's help I was freed to be with Nan as often and as much as we wanted. If one has to face such a death sentence one could only hope and pray for such a support group. From George and Yvonnes perpetual box of Sees Candy in the room to their always being there during surgery to wait with us to the patience of my clients who understood and were supportive.
So I am grateful for the support of Barbara in Texas, Aunt Ann in Oklahoma, John and Karen in Denver. Then there is Marilyn, dear tender hearted Marilyn who helped in ways that no one else could have, days, weeks, months she shared life with Nan and never shrank from anything that needed to be done. If you take anyone of the many who helped out of the equation it would have been harder to cope, to care and to help Nan. You all were there over and over again and because of you Nan never felt lonely or forgotten. Instead she knew she was supported and surrounded by love and compassion. Truly you helped ease the pain of what was eventually to happen.
So a huge heartfelt thanks to all of you for your part in this chapter of our lives. You were there and I'll not forget every.
love to all,

tim

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Tim, it is so amazing that you feel this depth of gratitude after all that you and Nan went through, and I know that it is God's love pouring through you. May God continue to watch over you and guide you and grant you His peace!