Sunday, July 6, 2008

All is quiet here.... Dana arrives safely in Houston

Dear Family and Friends,
What a pleasure it has been to have Dana with us for the past two weeks. As you all know sometimes guests or family come to visit and you just can't wait until they leave and the longer they stay the more you long for peace and quiet. Well having Dana here is as close as you can get to having Nan back, they both have hearts full of love for friends and family, they both are idea generators, action takers and so when Dana arrives there are no sad moments, no down times, no family fighting or tense words, just love and problem solving. God certainly knew what he was doing when he brought both Nan and Dana into the world, they just make things better all the time. So it was with a very heavy heart that we all loaded up one more time in the van and drove the hour to Oakland where we said our tearful goodbyes to Dana and Anthony. They both have brought a great deal of fun and joy into our lives and by ours I mean Nikki and Steve, Keanna and Kallie, Jason and Jo and Timothy as well as me too. We've packed a lot of living and eating into these two weeks, a lot of miles and dollars spent (thanks to Dana).
This evening when I thought she would be home finally from the cross country flight I called and she picked up with her friendly inflection, yes she was home and getting settled in with her 5 dogs, several cats, Jonathan and Ronnie. Anthony was there but getting tired and ready for bed. They had a safe and enjoyable flight back and were HOME. Dana loves to be home, who doesn't.
So now the new week looms, my prayer is that some more work will materialize, that funds will come in the mail or by Raven, that I will be able to figure out the next steps for my life, diet, work, study, rest.
I know you appreciate your children and it is very humbling and gratifying when your children tend to watch over you and help you through tough times. Mine are just perfect, they talk to me, encourage me, let me tag along, feed me and let me enjoy the grandkids. I am so thankful for family and friends. Your advice, counsel and ideas really motivate me and encourage me.
For those of you who have not yet faced a significant loss I hope my sharing the realities of my experience will help you prepare for your future no matter what unfolds. I know this for sure, there are no easy answers, no quick fixes for broken hearts, no magic words but I am finding that time passing eases the extreme pain and sense of loss and lostness. It has now been 7 months as of July 4. I can often hear her voice in the next room, smell the meal she is preparing, hear her quiet goodnight as I fall asleep for those were the sounds of 37 years together.
Will you take a moment tonight or this morning to just take in the magic of the presence of your loved one who is right there with you, treasure every day, speak what you feel, don't wait or withhold or punish, just do the right thing now, I mean now, not when you get around to it. Touch, affirm, revel in his / her presence, this moment. Humor me. Let your love show.
Good night my friend, a special thanks to Dana and to Ron for sharing her for a few days with us out here.
love

tim

No comments: