Sunday, July 27, 2008

Wading through piles of paper, tax year 2007

Dear Friends and Family,
Greetings from a very cool Discovery Bay this evening. After a day of 91 degrees I am shivering as winds whip through the house from the lake side through the office and then out the office door, how nice it is to be too cold for a change. Once again this has been a day of challenges for me and I'm getting a better perspective on why I'm in the some of the challenges I am right now.
I've been working through AMEX statements for the year 2007 and can see by the thousands and thousands of dollars spent on medicines, hotels, travel and other related expenses why I'm now facing the financial morass that I am. I do not resent any of what we had to spend, we were on a quest and I think we succeeded in making the last year as positive and helpful as we could for Nan. This afternoon after coming across some especially difficult photos I just broke down totally, it has been some time since I felt that overcome with loss and grief and living in a present reality which holds no promise of getting better soon coupled with powerful memories of a better time with a vibrant Nan was just too much to bear. I ended up talking with Sharon for quite a while and together we climbed back out of the pit of despond and into a better place. After recovering I really waded into the process of locating important papers from 2007 and putting them in order. Ken stands ready to prepare the 2007 tax year and IRS stands ready to work out a payment plan which will include all the different accounts I owe for. It holds out great promise of dealing with at least some of the issues I currently face.
Mid day I was able to visit a home briefly I have seen before and the owner provided a credit card for payment. That along with the check that came in on Saturday should cover the house payment that is in the works for a Monday clearing at the bank. I am deeply thankful for the funds that have come in. I had a very disappointing thing happen when I went to back the bug out to use for today's excursions. I attempting to turn on the fan so the AC would begin and the switch would not turn at first, then it gave and turned but did nothing, no fan, no AC. So now that switch which controls the interior fan has failed and will need to be replaced. I just could not believe it, there are times I just stand back and wonder what could possibly happen next. So I drove it back into the garage and moved things over to the van and used it today. Of course I love driving the van, it is comfortable, has excellent AC and automatic but it gets 20 miles per gallon and the bug gets 43.
One of the tasks an appraiser does is to follow up to make sure things that were not right at the first inspection are repaired before the loan closes. Such was the case for a little home in Oakley. The liner pool had a huge tear in the vinyl and the lender wanted it repaired. So now the new liner has been installed and the pool was filling with water. So I dropped by and shot a photo of the pool with its new liner and sparkling water. It was so tempting to just fall in and enjoy the cool water. So I took photos of the pool and then headed home by way of the Petco, the cats were really raising a fuss, seems their Dana supplied food supply had run out Friday night and they were none to happy with eating the dog food. Now the pets are happy once again.
I have spend the entire afternoon and evening entering the line by line charges from AMEX into the accounting program. I paused as the charges came up for the Princess Dawn hospital, $5,600 for three days, then the charges for the hospital and doctors in Mexico, $6,600 and then the smaller charges as I lived in the hospital in Concord and would venture out to Taco Bell to eat. Then there were the many charges where I would go to Burger King and buy a Pepsi freeze in hopes Nan would feel well enough to take a few bites of this favorite of hers. How she loved to have visitors, the kids, Dolly, Irene, Pam, the pastor, Sharon, Dana, Jan, Marilyn, Bob and Carrol, Sylvia, Wes, George and Yvonne and their faithful Sees candy box, Loren and Emily, Gerry and Barbara and others.........thank you for what you did.
I'm so glad we had so much time together so we could face the looming crisis hand in hand. Because of our business I was able to be with her far more than if I had been stuck in a normal 8 to 5 job somewhere. It was a huge blessing and Steve, Loree, Heather, Jean all helped with the business so I could be with Nan.
Now its time to fall into bed once again in search of strength to face the coming week.
I thank each and every one of you for your faithful friendship and prayers and I sincerely hope your lives are going well for you. This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through and so we'll all try to make this week a meaningful pass.

love

tim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

Sorry about the AC switch on the Bug, You must remember that that Car has covered many miles and many months since it was "New" and things that are used daily began to wear out & break. Time to think something "Newer".

We will pray with You that Your Accountant can work with the IRS to ease Your Tax Obligation. Better times must be coming soon!

What a pleasure this Great Weather is ! Hope it is here to stay for some time to come.

The Window Blind Level Gear Drive (on our house windows) in the Game Room broke this morning so I spent the first hour of the day removing the "Drive" from the blind , (No New Parts are avaliable for this model which is now 15 Years old) This was the 3rd one of the 14 that We have in the house to break. I guess We will learn to level them by twisting the Slats. It works quite well and is sure better than the cost of replacing the assembly. $3,500.00 for the whole House. "Ouch"

Have a good Day,

Bob & Carrol.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning from NC!
It looks like you had an "up and down" week end. I think life tends to be like that. We look forward to and rejoice in the "ups", but those "downs' are a bummer.

Your little bug has served you well through hundreds of appraisals and thousands of miles. Maybe it is saying "I'm tired and ready to be retired." Maybe it's time to consider turning in 2 cars for 1 good milage reliable one.... After all ~ you can only drive one car at a time anyway.... Just a thought.

This is the 3rd attempt at sending this out today. Now it is nearly 3:00 p.m. We just got back from Roger's doctor's visit and he is doing well. Hgb still within normal range and off all meds. He will see the hematologist again in 1 month and keep monitored by the Primary care physician. So, he has no more excuses ~ time to get back to "normal".

I hope you have many more checks in the mail this week and work coming in. I'm glad enough came through for the house payment. See ~ God sends funds AS you NEED them ~ not too early, not too late, not too much or too little for our NEEDS. I think this has to do with trust, resting in the Lord, waiting patiently for Him or something like that.

Continue to hang in there my friend ~ Carol