Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Art arrives for a visit

Good evening friends and family,
Art Diaz arrived awhile ago for a visit and tomorrow morning we'll walk the lake together for a change. I'm so glad to see him, nice to have a visitor here in quiet acres. While we have been talking a loaf of bread is taking shape in the kitchen. This evening I'm trying an all wheat loaf. I noticed that the mix seemed to need more water so I added water. We will see what happens when it finishes. I had quite a time making the bread. I had prepared a slice of the last loaf with a thin layer of peanut butter and thin slices of tomato and had it on the table. While I was working on the bread Starr decided to help herself knocking it on the floor. That made me pretty angry and Starr knew she was in trouble. While I was making the bread and putting ingredients in I had a tub of sugar open on the counter, not watching what I was doing I put the putter and powdered milk into the tub of sugar instead of the bread maker, when I discovered it I moved it over to the maker but I hope it all got mixed in. This will be a wonder loaf, I will wonder until it finishes baking.
Today I walked my full three miles still carrying the inspiration from yesterday. Then I showered, had breakfast and settled down to do a charity appraisal for someone who needed help. After about 3 hours I completed it and faxed it to her. Her first response was, the value was too low, I was just amazed as I felt it was honest and correct. I had set paying work aside to do her work and then it was not good enough. That was hard to take.
Then it was time to leave so for the next appraisal assignment I had to drive to Pleasanton to pick up a key from an appraiser who could not do an assignment due to ill health and then drive 30 minutes to Benicia. The home was beautiful, it was last on the market for around $700K and the comps now say around $540 or so, tough break for the owner. While I was shooting comps the bug overheated so I had to run the heater full blast to lower the engine temp. Then I drove through nasty traffic and it overheated again. I did another appraisal in Antioch, great little house, very low price, easy to appraise and then I drove home arriving here about 8 pm. And that's when the bread making began. Now the temp is cooling off outside, art is channel hopping and I'm about to head to bed. Once again the mail were a wash out today, no money and no hope of any. I'm wondering what God has in mind. I know many of you are facing challenging times as well.
This evening I called Sharon to see how she rode out the storm that hit her town in Texas but the call would not go through. I spoke to her this morning and her courage was good, she had closed the center today keeping the clients safely home for the day. She runs an adult day care business with her brother Rick and a large staff of faithful helpers.
So good evening to one and all, take care.

love

tim

2 comments:

Deborah W said...

Hi Tim, I hope you enjoyed Benicia, I love living in this little town. We have certainly been hit with the low real estate prices. We paid off our home this summer but the low prices don't do so much for our net worth. Oh well, as long as we don't need to sell anytime soon I guess we are alright. Have you put your name in with the Benicia realtors for possible appraisal work? Just wondering. Am sure they must refer clients to appraisers often enough. One real estate lady, Jennifer Moore, is my neighbor. Very nice lady. Another, Diane Waring, found us the house we currently live in. Both have been in Benicia for eons and might be able to send some work your way. Best of luck, as always! Deborah

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,
I can hardly wait to hear what happened with your "wonder bread". Sometimes the mistakes are hardly noticed an then other times ~ well, it's best to start over. 100% wheat tends to be a bit heavy anyway, so it might not all be your fault if it seems too heavy.

Rain seems to fall all around us, but keeps missing us. We are so dry here. 20 miles N. and 20 S. have had lots of rain, but we get either nothing or only a few dust dimples. We get the thunder and lightening, but not the rain. Our turn is coming. Maybe we'll get some of the edges of "Dolly".

All is well here. We're happy with our new helper! What a blessing! We're still finding some fall out from our kids ~ like lost key ring with all the keys to the cottages, unfinished painting, mixed up supplies, stuff where it doesn't belong.... We did finally find the keys. Logical place ~ in the bottom of a waste basket that had clean and dirty rags in it. We called the kids and they had no idea where they could be.....

I'm glad you have company, Silence can be deafening at times. It's good to have someone around to share in "channel surfing", visiting, enjoying the smell of fresh bread or bringing the warmth of another person being there.

Hang in there my friend.

Love ~ Carol