Monday, July 21, 2008

Starr takes Actos by accident

Good evening friends and family members,
I had a real scare this morning when one of my diabetes meds rolled off the desk and into Starrs waiting mouth below. One gulp and it was gone. My first inclination was to call the vet but I realized that his first comment would be, bring her in and with that there would be a bill I could not cover. So my second thought was to call my friend and doctor Dr. James Edwards. He graciously took my call and had to admit this was a first time question for him. His concern was the same as mine, here a little 20 lb dog had 45 mg of Actos which is designed to help an adult have better blood sugar control by causing the greater production of insulin. A side effect can be too low blood sugar levels. So we decided I should keep Starr eating today, keep giving her carbs so I dropped everything and took Starr with me to Safeway where I purchased three different types of wet dog food. She had one dish on the way home, another after we got home and still another later in the day. I also gave her a bun with lots of jam on it to give her a boost to her blood sugar. Then I kept her awake all day as I worked. Loree was kind enough to call her friend who works with a vet and we all decided that after several hours the effects were probably mostly passed. I had such a sinking feeling to know Starr was at risk. Seemed the whole morning was ruined just with worry over Starr, she has become such a huge part of my life, welcomes me home at night, watches over me while I sleep, warns me of any danger and even if someone rings the front door bell which I cannot hear from my office.
Bread report: as I mentioned in the blog I made a trip to Safeway for new ingredients for making wheat bread. The cycle takes 4 hours to make a loaf. I carefully located all the ingredients called for hoping I was finding sugar, not salt and then salt not sugar. Well I got a late start so the loaf was not completed until just after 12 last night. I gingerly took it out, dug out the little mixing tool and then put the bread into a plastic sack so it would not get dry. This morning I cut a slice, it was perfect, toasted up rough and tough, tasted perfect. For lunch I made a griller and placed it on one toasted slice of my bread and it was good all over again. Finally a dream come true. This is fun and it tastes real good. Of course it is carbs so I have to take it easy.
I've written two appraisals today, one with 9 comparables and the other with 7. It takes a lot of data to prove your case in a declining market. One check came in the mail and it is in direct response to the invoices Loree send out last week. Sort of makes the minor cost of the mailing seem reasonable and of course it takes time to fold and stuff the statements in the envelopes too.
Two orders were promised today, one came in and the other is just a promise so far. I've watched the email all day but it never came through.
I am determined to find a method for losing weight and stick to it. The weight I carry is dangerous, it keeps me from being active and is just a total turnoff. I must find a way to escape from the tyranny of the carbs.
Please join me in prayer for those who are suffering this evening, there are so many terrible situations where God's special calm and healing is needed.
I'm thankful that my little Starr seems to be Ok this evening.

love to all

Tim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Tim,

What a scare with Star! I'm glad she is ok. With all that food it probably pushed it through her system rapidly.

We are having very HOT weather again. A lot of rain fell all around us yesterday, but we got not a drop! There is hope again today. Fortunately it does cool down in the mid 60's in the evenings. I was working in the yard Sunday and got way over heated. Yes, I know ~ early a.m. or evening is better. So, this a.m. I'm up early and waiting for it to get light enough to go finish my job.

I'm glad you are enjoying and being blessed by the CD. There are a couple of glitches in the recording, but life is like that sometimes.

Congratulations on your bread making skills! The aroma is wonderful. I hear it aids in selling a house. Strange isn't it how we procrastinate doing something then find out it was a very simple task. Fresh bread isn't particularly good for weight loss, however. Use it wisely!

I'm off to the yard!

We love you ~ Carol

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

Looks like the heat is coming back but the weather people are saying that it will only be a couple of days and then settle down to the 85/92 range.

Hope Your little dogie is OK We know how much She means to You.

Just a note to say that Our Yard Man is doing the job finally on a full time baisis, Our Three Homes (Us and the Neighbors on either side) on Evergreen are really looking good now with a full time gardener on the job.

Let Us know when You are going to the "Garden" again and We will try to join You. We do like that place to Eat.

Have a good week & stay COOL.

Bob & Carrol.