Monday, July 7, 2008

Tight times

Dear Family and Friends,
As I write this evening the house AC is still running in spite of being set at 80 degrees. We are in one of those California warm spells, they don't last long but they hit hard for a few days. This morning Ken and I walked at 6:30 and it was warm even then. Ken pulled a fast one and extended the walk to an even longer trip around the lake, its OK though as I have felt I needed to do more. I did not feel that way this morning when we were extending the trip but its the right thing to do. After walking I settled in for a morning of work. I tried to do the steel cut oats in the microwave but even 4 minutes did not do the trick. I don't have the instructions as the oats were moved to a Tupperware and the packaging was thrown away, if any of you know how many minutes to cook steel cut oats can you let me know please. I had to give up and eat Cheerios this morning, could not waste any more time trying to figure it all out.
At 1 pm I left for Oakland having completed a really tough appraisal for a property located in Napa. I drove to the 4 plex and met a really wonderful lady who works for the owner of the property. She had driven up from San Jose and showed me through the 4 units. Then she gave me a small check for the inspection fee portion and I drove the comps. It is amazing how few sales have taken place recently, just amazing. I would never have guessed how bad things have gotten in our local markets. I lose far more appraisal orders than I get to complete since the lack of comparables sales is becoming very serious.
After I completed the Oakland comp search and shot the photos I headed for San Francisco. I dreaded going there late in the afternoon but found the traffic to be amazingly light both going in and coming back out. The inspection was for a property that I had thought should be torn down, it was so rough and full of dry rot, the roof had leaked for 20 years and it was awful. Now after a crew has been working the place is great, granite in the kitchen, new view deck in the rear, new flooring, new bathrooms.
I drove out of the neighborhood which is located very near where the 49ers play football and caught the freeway. I then proceeded to drive the speed limit across the bay bridge, through Oakland, through Walnut Creek and only slowed briefly on Highway 4 in Antioch before coming on home. It was a total pleasing surprise, the trip home, one of those little blessings that are a nice touch to a work day.
At home I found NO money in the mail, that makes about a week now! I did get to go over to a local house and pick up an inspection check for $75 which along with the inspection fee in Oakland will start the fund to pay the house payment in a week. The dogs were very glad to see me come home and let me know how much they missed me and how hot it had been today. I made a cool ice drink using the breakfast mocha stuff from CostCo, wow is it good and I make it really thin, tastes cold and good anyway.
Tonight I made brown rice, corn, picked fresh tomatoes from my vines and cut a couple up to eat with the rice. Wonderful taste, rich and tangy.
Ken called to say we need to walk at 6:30 again in the morning, that's fine with me as I need to be in Rancho Cordova by 10 to do an appraisal, the last order I have at the present time.
Adjusting to a house without Dana is not easy. She is such a pleasant person that when she goes she really leaves a gap in the joy factor. But I'm OK. I had a chance to speak to several people today on the phone including my dear friend Marilyn who lives in Rhode Island. She confirmed that she is ready to fly west when she gets the ticket from Dana so it won't be long now. She and I are going to tackle the office and especially Nan's desk which is exactly like it was when she was still using it every day. Sylvia had an excellent suggestion, that I use that computer for financial and family affairs while I use my computer for preparing and tracking appraisals. The more I think about the idea the more I like it, two different functions, two different work stations. It will not involve spending any money as everything is already there at her desk.
I have found friends and family to be a real resource center for ideas which have helped as the months pass.
This Friday we are going to celebrate Timothy's birthday at MBA. We think we might like to arrive early to enjoy the cooler weather, the beach and a relaxing family day. I had a dramatic illustration of micro differences in climate this afternoon. As I drove through Oakland and approached the tunnel the temp was 77, once through the tunnel into Orinda the temp was 98. What a difference!
Please pray that Steve and I can find more appraisal work.
So tonight I send my love to all,

Tim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim from HOT Lodi,

104 now and not through yet I fear.

We went to Jackson this Morning and played a bit on their $$'s and had lunch up there on "Player Points". Home by 3:00 and hoping for things to cool off a bit.

Picked up some good looking Tomatoes, Onions & a Melon at a local stand on Guild Ave in east Lodi, Our favorite place for many years.

Have a good week and We will be Praying that Your mail box is filled with $$'s & Orders.

Hope to see You soon,

Bob & Carrol.