Monday, July 14, 2008

VBS is the new opportunity / challenge

Dear Family and Friends,
Do you catch yourself thinking in the same manner as when you were younger. I think I usually do, I tend to think I can pick up anything, figure out anything and think of myself as being in my 40s. Sometimes I am startled when I catch a view of myself in a mirror, older, gray hair, overweight, nah, that could not be me.
Well this evening I got a real wake up call, I am really 59 and almost 60. VBS and 4 little guys assigned to be in my group quickly reminded me that time has passed since the last time I was in charge of children or helped with a VBS. Many years ago I could sort of keep up with the crowd of youngsters, not now.
I've never really been into the motions that go with songs, I'm always at least two movements behind the rest, hands up when they should be down, you know the routine or lack of it. This program has lots of singing with motions and 4 sets of eyes were watching to learn the motions from me, yikes.
The leaders have done an excellent job of decorating the entire church complex for the theme and people are dressed up for their roles, the groups move from event to event, crafts, exercise, snack, lesson, movie lesson. What a workout and on top of the fact that recently I've not felt too good. I think I am over medicated now, by 10 in the morning I am sleeping in my chair, by 1 pm my blood sugar is critically low like today and I had to find some food, the apple in my lunch box did not cut it nor did the one piece of string cheese. So I found Taco Bell and that did solve the panic inside from the low blood sugar.
I had the honor of meeting a family who are purchasing a home in Brentwood using a FHA loan. They were a very special family and the place was perfect. Then to Oakland to see another little place that was very carefully maintained. Then on to another place to just get a feel of its features so I could do a better value check. Then onto the freeway to Livermore where I was finally able to return the old used batteries to the Yamaha Golf Cart store, I've had them in the trunk for many months. Then back into traffic to Tracy where I arrived at 5 so Kim could brief me on how to be a group leader.
Now I am home. It felt good to see Nikki every once in awhile as she helped the groups to move on time to their next station. Emily was an angel and held Kallie which helped so much. Keanna was very encouraging to me, she knew I was nervous as a group leader and she kept encouraging me when we crossed paths. What a little blessing she is.
When I got home I found the house warm inside so I opened it up and now cool breezes are blowing through, nice, very nice to be cool and at home again.
It was good to have work again today. Preparing an appraisal has become very difficult for several reasons. Lenders now want the sales to have happened in the past 3 months, no longer accepting sales from the past 6 months like before. Most sales are bank owned and depending on the bank they seem to have no reason for their pricing so the prices tend to be very low. This has pulled the value of homes that have not sold down as comps are the only way we can guess what our subject home would sell for if marketed.
So many people are suffering right now, perhaps some of you are in the bind financially. If so I certainly have only the kindest thoughts for you and your plight.
We all certainly need to stay close to the One who knows what will be in the future.
Sending love to all,

Tim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim, We just returned today from a 9 day trip to Michigan and I have been reading your blogs. Can't belive Timothy is already one year old. We had a great trip visiting my 2 aunts and some cousins. Then we went to Berrien Springs to Andrews University for the Retirees' Convention. It was great. Pam and Jimmy Rhodes had a nice concert Sabbath afternoon and Elder Don Schneider was the speaker at church and again in the afternoon. We visited the Historic village on Friday and enjoyed our tour very much. Past time for bed. Tomorrow we have LSV at 9 a.m. and dental appointment in Dixon at 1:30 so it will be a busy day. Hope I find clean clothes to wear!! We ate a meal with Carol Peden's father and step mom. Love, Barb