Thursday, July 10, 2008

Forgotten grief group

Dear Family and Friends,
9:50 and all is quiet here, dogs are resting nearby on standby in case I decide to go to bed or move about. I've just been talking to my friend Art who along with Connie is resting at their Indio home after being on the road for the last couple weeks. They have had a safe trip so far and seen many wonderful things and places, visited with grandchildren and Art's brother and ready to be home for a bit.
Our walk this morning turned out to be quite an experience. Since Ken is away Loree decided she needed to exercise so joined me this morning. She brought her faithful dog Harley with her. We had only begun to walk when two large dogs joined us, we tried to get them to go home and one eventually left but the other one, a lab and Pitt mix just stayed with us. Finally in desperation Loree read a phone number from his collar and when we got no answer attached him to the other end of the leash and she walked both dogs around the lake. As we finished the walk we decided to try to dump him back into the park but as we neared the park a lady who walks dogs for a living pulled and out bounded three large dogs. Loree sort of knew her and had a discussion about the stray. Then the phone rang and it was the owner, he was in Alameda being a paramedic, could not believe the dog was out and said he'd call a friend to come after him. Turns out the dog had taken out a window and escaped. As I walked away from the park the lady was asking Loree if she would consider a job of helping walk dogs! All of this took over an hour to get settled and by then I was hot and tired. After showering I tried the steel cut oatmeal again and thanks to a link Irene found for me I discovered that it can be done in the microwave. So here is the answer, 1/4 cup oats, 3/4 cup water, a deep and large bowel since the oats will bubble up a lot. 5 minutes in the microwave, stir and then 3 more minutes. It tastes great and with a little flax seed and some extra fiber and a touch of milk I had a feast. These oats taste totally different than normal oatmeal but they are great.
I worked on statements for awhile getting them printed out to be mailed to clients, then I worked on an appraisal for Brentwood I've had for awhile. Nikki rescued me from boredom and we had lunch at Olive Garden in Antioch. Then back to work again. Oh and yes a check in the mail today, thank you very much so it got deposited and there will be another one picked up in San Jose tomorrow, thank you very much. This evening I went all out and had a haircut so I could avoid the wild man look that takes over after the wind whips the hair, had a subway gardenburger sandwich, non fat chips, delivered an appraisal to Brentwood, took the old battery back to Kragen to get the core deposit returned and came home to work. However that has not worked out. I've enjoyed several phone calls and then suddenly remembered, this is Thursday night and I missed grief group, I had totally forgotten and I felt bad, I wanted to know how my friends were doing. Bummer.
Tomorrow morning I am going with Nikki and the girls to MBA for Timothy's party. We intend to hit Capitola, the beach, the party and enjoy some cool air for a change. The temperature there is supposed to be in the 70s while ours is 100+/-.
I was down another 1/2 lb this morning which is great news and I'm feeling pretty well health wise. I dread the PG&E bill that will arrive soon, the AC is set on 80 but still runs a lot it seems.
I want to mention my dear friend Irene this evening. I think she could use our prayers in her behalf as she searches for the next step, for a trial program to enter as she has some new tumor growth so soon, only 7 months, after her surgery. She is considering Nexavar and AMN 107 but both would require her to travel, something she has not had to do so far in her quest for the cure. She is a lady that walks with God daily but I know how it feels to have others praying too. It feels good, it feels like you are less alone as you face this dreaded disease.
Thank you for your kind and helpful emails with suggestions and advice. Of special note, I had a call from a local food and life planning coach a few minutes ago. My cardiologist gave me his pamphlet at our last office visit. He spoke with me for about 20 minutes and explained what he had to offer. He has helped over 200 patients of Dr. Savage as they have made life style changes to fewer and fewer meds, better blood numbers and improve health, weight loss and greater strength. I had not contacted him due to the fear of the cost for such a program. As he explained it the costs are not as large as I expected. We will meet on the 23rd to discuss a plan and then I will decide how to proceed. Keith, I have not forgotten your generous offer for when I dump 60 lbs. I think about your words of counsel often and now have fruit out all the time to eat.
Good night friends and family, sure seems different without Dana in the house. I miss her as I also miss her sister. Life moves on, we adjust or else.

love

tim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

Sure glad for the lower temp this morning 65 sure beats 75 to start the day. You will no doubt find beautiful weather at Monterey. They say We will be in the low 90's here for the next 7 days so that is not so bad. Sure beats the 100+ stuff that has visited Us for the past week.

Again I can't get hold of Our "Yard Man". He seems to have just vanished again! I'm about to hire the Young Boys a few doors down from Us, at least I can get hold of them!

Have a good Weekend and a safe drive to the Bay.

Bob & Carrol.

Deborah W said...

Good morning, Tim. Thx for your great description of your steel-cut oats. I was inspired to have oatmeal myself this morning (though not steel-cut; must find some of those) and it was excellent, especially after an exercise session. I feel so healthy. Lovely! Have a great day near the sea. Deborah