Sunday, December 7, 2008

Sick day

Greetings
Well after successfully dodging colds and flu something has caught up with me. As I sit here and write I think I'm better than this morning, not sure really.
I woke to a house that was 59 degrees. I built a fire and turned on little space heaters which are such a blessing. In a short time the wood stove began to produce heat and the chill factor left the room. I also decided to turn on my spa and when I just checked it it is 100 degrees right now. I'm looking forward to enjoying some soaking time there pretty soon. I think it might help some of the sore and aching muscles. Sylvia's mom suggested Mucliex (sp) so when I was at Longs I got some. I also purchased a little bottle of orange juice which I usually do not drink because of all the sugar it has in it.
When I went to the living room I found the reef tank totally dark. Thinking it was the timers I checked them out but they were working. For some strange reason all 4 bulbs had quit working. The tank cannot continue to thrive in the dark so later in the day I drove to San Ramon to a really helpful fish store and ask for new bulbs. He installed them but they would not come on, something in the switches or wiring has failed. I went ahead and purchased a small fish light assembly to they would have some light and I thought between Steve and I we can make the defective system work again. Now I'm back home getting ready to work the evening shift, the fish have light again and the dryer is doing its thing. I've felt pretty crummy all day between coughing and aching. Last night about half way through the night I just got tired of being cold so I finally screwed up enough courage to venture out of bed in the cold and brave the shivers and shakes that immediately set in and find another blanket to add to the stack. I doubled it up and what a difference it made, like a warm little nest for the rest of the night. Starr approved.
So far today 4 appraisals have gone out, of those three were helped by Jean a great deal. Now if only they would pay for what we have already submitted to them. Its now in the thousands of dollars owed.
I will write yet another one tonight before the spa. I'm considering some soup, sounds good along with some toast.
When I was out this evening I found about everything I needed. A fire starter of my own, dog treats, flax seed, fiber, grillers, OJ. I think I'm set for a couple days.
It is a different experience to be sick and be alone. I know many of you experience that all the time so I'm not unique. It is not fun though. I hope to feel much better by tomorrow and I've ask for the Lord's help.
I have about 10 pieces of solid wood left to burn and an abundance of scrap wood so for the time being I should be able to stay warm. Before long I'll have to consider finding wood somewhere.
Today is one year since we laid Nan to rest in the Union Cemetery and tomorrow will be one year since the memorial service. I'm not sure if the term, time heals all things is correct but time does help put memories in perspective and the daily grind of living and surviving eclipses trips down memory lane for hours and sometimes days at a time. The opportunity of meeting people in their homes and drawing out their stories brings meaning to daily life. Not all people I meet are interesting, some are just rude or cold but most respond to genuine questions and comments on photos of family members, about daily living and about the current financial challenges we all face.
All in all I like my life now, I used to love life but for now I think liking it is enough. If I could somehow move beyond the constant threat of financial ruin I would actually be much more prone to enjoy life. Sometimes I have lots of COD work and that gives me cash flow to cope with bills, but over the past three weeks nearly all the work has been invoice, that means a wait of 3 to 6 weeks to be paid if at all. I used to like having a bunch on the books for a rainy day, now every day is rainy and whats on the books is not help at all until it comes to the mailbox.
I hope you are enjoying the season, the music has been wonderful so far and the lights everyone else has up are great. Myself, well I have three reindeer lying on their sides in the front yard. So far no time or inclination to decorate. Am I a scrooge?

love

tim

1 comment:

Deborah W said...

Hi Tim, those reindeer need your help! No, you're not a scrooge, just experiencing a little of the holiday blues. Definitely not uncommon, and it will pass. Perhaps it's time to watch "A Christmas Carol?" My favorite version is the one with Patrick Stewart in it. Awesome! Keep the faith; all will be well. Deborah