Friday, October 30, 2009

At Jason and Jo's finally

Dear Family and Friends,
What a day this has been! As you know my kidos are the most important part of my life. This morning when I finally got up I felt horrible. My chest felt funny and I couldn't seem to cough very well at first. Steaming hot water in the shower helped to loosen things up a bit. After stumbling downstairs and making some toast and Stripples I went to the office. There I discovered two missed calls from Nikki on the cell. Then it hit me, I was supposed to be at their house this morning at 6:30 to care for the kidos so Steve could go to his job. I had totally forgotten my appointment. At that point it was too late to do anything helpful so I called Steve, he told me Keanna was coughing and was not going to school anyway. I think he was awful nice about the whole mess I had created.
So since I was not going to be helpful there I turned to the two appraisals that had to be written before I left for the coast. But the computers were not working. Calls to Comcast let me know that the cable was working so then I called Jim my IT guy. He was not answering his phones. I tried everything I know, I tried it over and over again with no success. Much later I reached him and he had me bypass the router taking the signal from the modem directly to my own computer, it worked. So then I decided to drive to the store, any store and get a new router. But when I was leaving I thought, just wire around the router, that should work. So I hooked up the two ACN phone lines, the 10/100 switch and the modem. It worked but the network which connects to my server would not work, what was wrong. Finally I reached Jim and he told me, if you want the signal from the modem to work with more than one computer you need a router which can generate up to 256 different IP addresses. He suggested I use the tiny router which comes with the APN phone line. So I did just that and after moving cables around with Lois handing me things from my desk as I rolled around on the floor it all worked. The little router was able to assign IP addresses to all the various pieces of the system and I was in business. So at 2:30 this afternoon the systems were finally working. A quick lunch of sauteed mushrooms in olive oil, some long grain wild rice I had cooked and a griller chopped into little pieces with a dollop of cottage cheese hit the spot.
Then fortified with a Doctor Pepper Marilyn had kindly left I set to work. Between 3 and 6 I managed to get two Oakland appraisals written and shipped to their lenders. Then it was time to do research for the appraisals to be seen on the trip and pack. The short end of this story is I pulled in at Jason's at 10 pm. I'm here now and getting ready to settle in for the night. Jason warns me that it has been cool at night lately and I'll keep that in mind.
There were other little events during the day. I've decided to share Nan's bike with Jo who needs a bike. So I reached up to get it down from the hangers on the garage ceiling. That was fine until it came down rapidly and over my head. Then trying to load it onto the bike rack on the back of the motorhome proved to be very challenging as well. But its here, I'm here and the day from H.... is over and done with.
I'm looking forward to time with Timothy and the kids, breezes from the ocean and calm moments to recharge these shattered mental batteries. How I miss the sanity that Nan brought to our lives.
So good night to all,

love

tim
PS, thanks Lois for your encouragement and help today.

No comments: