Thursday, October 15, 2009

Progress?

Dear Family and Friends,
For having such a rough day yesterday last night was fine, took two teaspoons of codeine cough medicine Dr. Jim had prescribed a while back. That seemed to calm things down in a hurry.
I woke this morning to a hazy world. After a long hot shower I drove to Dr. Jim's office for an 8:30 appointment. By the time I got to see him it was 9:45 but I dozed while waiting. After he heard my cough he switched meds to another kind he had samples of, a sort of Leviquin I think. I've had it before and it helped. He also sent me for an xray. After that ordeal I headed for Richmond to pick up a key for a empty house. The key was waiting for me in willcall. When I arrived at the house I was accosted by an Asian neighbor who in broken English urged me to make kids stop using drugs in the outbuildings behind the house. When I told her the house had been sold she brightened and thanked me profusely and I was able to get down to work. How I dreaded climbing out of the bug but there were no options really. The report is due on Friday and includes a late fee. The house took me back many years. Some time after world war II a basic house with a flat roof was constructed in hundreds of neighborhoods all over the west. Nan and I lived in one in Tracy which Dr. Glover kindly let us occupy in exchange for our working to fix it up, he paid for the materials. We added central AC, painted, installed some new appliances and enjoyed our time there. Here I was set to measure the same model but located in San Pablo. Someone had added a pitched roof solving an innate problem with the original design, keeping a flat roof from leaking. The house was basic but clean and had a new kitchen. After measuring and photographing the home I then drove the comps some of which still had a flat roof design. Then a quick phone call confirmed that the next property I was to see in Richmond was not going to work out. It was a duplex and one side was not available for me to inspect, tenants were not there. But I was offered the chance to come back at 9 in the morning since everything would be open at that time. So it means another trip back, about 55 miles, in traffic but since it is work I was willing to comply.
After a tasty garden burger at Applebees I headed up Highway 80 toward Fairfield and calling ahead confirmed that I could see that house sooner than planned. It was a Mexican family with 3 little ones that were so cute and polite and very curious. Their little dogs that were not supposed to bite sure looked like biters to me so I let the tenant stay between me and the dogs.
Finally the blessed moment arrived, the moment when I can point the bug toward home. It used to mean more when there was someone there to inform of my arrival time but the dogs were happy to see me.
While I really wanted to just go to bed instead of working in the office and fielded three very nice phone calls which tended to relieve my feeling alone and sort of beaten down. First Lois called to inquire about my day, then my sister Sibyl called from Ohio to offer cheer and to let me know she was proud of me, a somewhat startling thought at the moment and then Dolly called. These calls were wonderful and provided a great lift. I've just come back from dropping off a few things and got to see the family for a minute. Then I stopped by the shopping center to first make a deposit of a check and then pick up a few things like orange juice, wheat bread and aspirin. Now I'm home and after this little epistle I'm heading to bed. I find if I can keep the coughing down then the head does not hurt so much and I don't break into a sweat. I've found Marilyn's stash of throat lozenges and I'm keeping them going.
I hoping, praying that I can begin a recovery and get caught up with the loose ends of my life.
Thank you for your prayers and kind thoughts. I got a nice email from Bob and Carrol and it looks like she can have a knee surgery done soon to relieve the lack of mobility of late. They are such inspirations to observe and lots of emails with wisdom from Carol in N. Carolina so I know she is feeling well and sassy. I also got a great encouraging email from friend Joyce. We just love to talk about our most recent contact with our little kidos.

Good night to one and all,
Love

tim

No comments: