Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Jerry retires

Dear Friends and Family,
Well he made it official today. My brother who has worked for the railroad is retiring after 35 years on the tracks, over a million miles without ever any damaged freight or equipment but he feels his time is short before the company finds some way to ease him out so he'd rather do it on his terms. He and Donna have been doing the math and think they can live on the retirement. I am so glad he will not have to work any more 12 hour all nighters, sleep 8 and then back on the train again.
Ken and I walked at 6:30 this morning for an early start to the day. Then breakfast and off to Antioch. Let me tell you the house I saw was rough, I mean not really liveable and it is in the process of being fixed up, needs it badly. Windows missing, doors missing, no paint, overgrown back yard. Wow! Then home to work up things in the bin, do value checks, make a fast deposit as the account was overdrawn again, work more, take orders, eat every hour, do more work.
Breaking up the routine of the day was emails from Judy, a high school friend who is an amazing person, calls from Nikki and Jason, text messages from Marilyn who was staying in out of the cold and snow in Rhode Island, a call from Dolly on her way somewhere to help someone, that is what she does, helps people.
Now its bedtime and I still have work I could do but perhaps I've done enough. Money is so tight right now but this way I get to meet a new group of people, the bill collectors! Most are nice and understanding.
Loren just emailed to confirm our Thursday morning early ride to the hospital for the colonoscopy so you know what I'll be drinking tomorrow evening and you know where I'll be, close to home for sure. I dont' even pick up the stuff until noon as the pharmacy was out of it and had to order it in.
So my friends, I'm doing OK and my fervent desire is that you will do OK as well. Please take good care of your relationships, go the extra mile, listen when you don't feel like it, speak softly and use the words, Yes Dear, often. Women sort of expect that from wise husbands.
If any of you think you could fit into clothes that hand in our closet I would sure like to invite you to come and try them on. Right now all of these nice clothes are doing no one any good, lets make them work for someone. Nan had great taste and usually bought good quality things. Never flashy but solid.
Well good night or good morning, best to you each one,

love

tim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Jerry! I think retirement is a bit scary at first. Then comes the ahhhhh! The challenge is to keep busy doing the things we enjoy and not get stagnant. Right now I'm looking forward to retirement. There are so many things I WANT to do instead of things I HAVE to do.

Roger and I are both "normal" again. Well ~ at least our temperatures are. I certainly don't recommend this flu to anyone. You do get to rest, but you sure feel miserable while doing it. I am actually feeling very good today. Now I need to get to the grocery store and replenish the pantry. I haven't done that since we got home from vacation. There's food here, but the selection is marginal.

Have a good day and good luck with the colonoscopy. It's really not that horrible. Yes, the prep is a bit inconvenient, but the procedure is nothing.

Love ~ Carol

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Tim,

The first Year of Retierment is the hardest to adjust to but You gradually slip into "Normal"..

As Carol says the Colon thing is a Snap , only the "Prep" for Me was not something I want to do again very soon.

Got the Honda picked up (Serviced & Cleaned) after Lunch at the Center and completed Dr appointments , both of Us, minor Skin Issues.

Weather is looking good for Our upcoming trip to Reno on Thursday.

I'm finally back to My regular Walking Program after nearly a week of Congestion etc. Good to be feeling Good again. I have never had a "Cold" that was so hard to get rid of.

Choir Practice Tonight and the Director is adding a Brass Group to 2 of the Numbers that We are doing on the 23rd. I got the Trombone out of the closet and found that I can still make some "Noise" on it so I guess I'll give it a try along with 7 other players includind the Pastor Who is a very good Trumpeter.

Have a good safe day,

Love You,

Bob & Carrol.