Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The doctor says no, the blood work shows improvement

Dear Family and Friends,
This evening as I write I'm reflecting on an unusual day. For the first time in my life a doctors office called and said, don't come for tomorrow's appointment, you owe us money. The cardiologist's scheduler called to say that unless I could pay the bill in full, about $570, the doctor would not see me. At first I was pretty disturbed by the news. At that moment I was overdrawn about $400 at the bank although I did not know it but I did know there was no way I had the funds to pay the doctor the co pays I owed him now. As I thought about it I decided to call back and ask that they fax the results of the blood work to me so I could get at least some idea of how I was doing. After a second phone call they finally did but the resulting fax was so dark I could not read it, then later in the day the faxs came through again and that time could be read clearly. I'll share some of the numbers and let you give me feed back on what they mean. The total cholesterol was 87, the HDL was 40, the LDL was 14 and the Triglycerides were 102. These number compare to the last blood work a couple months ago when the total cholesterol was 191, the HDL was 33, the LDL was 129 and the triglycerides were 202. So the trend seems to be in the right direction. As I thought over my situation I decided to make an appointment with Dr. Edwards who is my GP and by the way is paid up. His co pays are much lower and more reasonable. When Debra, his front desk guru called back to set up an appointment she had pulled my file and discovered that Jim had written out some instructions, he wants the Crestor 40 mg reduced to 20 mg every other day. Sounds good to me. I'll see him in a little over a week. He also runs a very successful weight clinic which I'll talk to him about when I'm there. Sylvia was my counselor today and was very helpful in helping me think this through.
I inspected a nice home in Rio Vista Trilogy today, a 55 and over community. The home was nice and the poor lady had just lost her husband the 30Th of August but wanted me to be there so tax matters could be in order as soon as possible. Here I am 9 months later and only today I finally hooked up with my appraiser friend who is coming the first of next week to do the appraisal for me.
As I pulled into the driveway this afternoon from Rio Vista I found a check in the mailbox. That one along with the one I had collected today helped bring the bank account back into the black side. So many automatics come out this time of the month and of course they are relentless, they just come out whether there are funds there or not.
This evening Lois suggested we break up the boredom after working hard all afternoon and we visited the local Subway. A good sandwich on wheat bread was the perfect answer, tons of lettuce, good tomatoes and a few olives. Oh did I mention a touch of mayo and some cheese too.
Then it was home to hear Gov. Palin speak. I just stopped working and sat with Marilyn and we listened and enjoyed hearing a new voice in the mix, a good communicator and a someone believable.
Tomorrow Ken and I will walk early and then I'll settle in to complete a couple appraisals and start beating the bushes for more work. When I spoke to my friend Ken who is a local appraiser he confirmed my situation that there is very little work to be had, not enough to keep on going right now.
This evening my bank on line finally caught up with transactions from Tuesday and it felt so very good to see both house payments clear the bank, thanks to the generosity of someone who was a huge help. I don't think anyone can understand just how big of help until you are in my situation where most everything is somewhat of a challenge right now. You were a huge help on so many levels.
Please pray that someone will notice the add for the stair chair, it would sure be nice to sell it. Would help so much with finances.
I'm feeling pretty well right now, I'm very dizzy when I first get up in the morning or have to lay down on the floor and then move but that's been with me for a long time. The walking goes really well with Ken and we walk pretty fast, I've tried to have more veges lately although I'm still snacking much more than I should. At least I'm drinking plenty now. When I stop to think then I realize I have so much to be thankful for, mostly my precious kids and their precious kids. They are all wonderful.
Good night to each one of you. Let me know what you think about the blood work results. I'm thinking it could have been worse.

love

tim

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Tim if those are the correct numbers they are great!! They are super! You have done a terrific job bringing them into line- You may not be loosing the lbs but you need to remember that muscle weighs more than fat so you can be getting more muscular with the exercise even though the scale is discouraging- You obviously have improved the quality of the food you eat Your regular MD should be very pleased!
Sylvia

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim, I second what Sylvia said. Your numbers look great. The HDL is the good and the LDL is the bad and you have made both numbers look better. Gerry had a little scare this morning. He has not been feeling well and finally called his doctor this morning. The nurse was asking him questions and was ready to have him go to the emergency room. He didn't but did see the doctor and they told him he was going to live so he came home in better spirits. Mike came from Maui last evening. He is seeing his friend the dentist regarding his tooth and a new crown. He has grown a mustache and gotee. Makes him look old. The gotee is almost all grey. I voted for him to shave!! Lavonne is here from New York and I'm trying to get in touch with her at her cabin to see if she could meet us at Spaghetti Factory on Friday. She flys home sometime on Friday but it must be the red eye. We watched the Palin talk also. Spunky little lady! She gets my vote!! I'm off to bed. Love, Barb

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,
Your blood works looks terrific! Your walking and watching your diet must be working. Keep up the good work. I am a bit concerned about your "drinking" though....

Did anyone ever tell you you aren't very patient? The stair chair will sell when you need the money the most. Right now your house payments are up to date and you have checks coming in. You don't NEED the money from the stair chair right now. God's timing is always the best.

We missed the rain from Gustav. Hannah will probably go too far east. Ike doesn't know where he is going yet. We are hoping and praying that we will get a good rain from at least one of these hurricanes.

Cherish each day, your family and your friends. Continue to take care of yourself.

We love you ~ Carol

Anonymous said...

Thіs рaragгаph is асtually a gοod οne it helps neω thе
web vieωers, ωhο are wishing for blogging.



my wеblοg: coffee pure cleanse drops