Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Wow, these are long days

Dear Family and Friends,
10:42 and time to go to bed. No naps today, not stops to catch the breath, just go go go. Ken and I walked this morning, then I worked for a while and made steel cut oats, then I set about making a loaf of bread. When I finally sat down at my desk I discovered I had a 11 am appointment in Livermore so I jammed out an appraisal that was needed and printed it out so I could deliver it when I was in Livermore. After the appraisal in Livermore and the delivery I located a new Subway and had lunch. Then back to the office for to write another appraisal which I did get done before a 5 pm appointment to see a relo in Brentwood. A relo is when a company, in this case Dow chemical, has decided to move someone across the country. part of the moving package is an agreement to purchase their existing home if it does not sell. The question of what to pay for the home is solved by two appraisals and at least one broker opinion. In these times preparing these appraisals is a huge challenge and I've not always been brutal enough with the values, its hard to anticipate just how bad it is going to be over the next 6 months when doing one of these. I'm graded on a quarterly report card based on the value I came in at vs the actual list price and then the actual sales price. If you are too low on the report card then you don't work for awhile.
This evening on my way home from the next appraisal after the relo I happened to find myself on the Brentwood Bypass and discovered that a new section, the final section of road was opened today, what a pleasure to bypass all those stop signs and turns in the road and use this new smooth highway. How Nan would have loved it, we always talked about how nice it would be when it opened and finally today it is open. Progress! What it means for me is a 1 hour trip to Concord or Walnut Creek can now be done in about 45 minutes if traffic is moving on Highway 4. That is a real improvement, a blessing.
Ken says we walk at 6:30 in the morning so I'll keep this short as I never seem to catch up on sleeping.
Tonight Art and Connie have arrived safely in Hawaii and are on vacation for a week. Art called to say the last time he was on Maui it was with Nan and me and that certainly took me back to a happy time. We had a blast on that trip, another whole set of great memories. Its hard to not be a bit bitter over knowing there will be no more fun trips with the worlds greatest traveling partner.
Got to see my girls this evening for a quick stop, Keanna was doing a magician act making things disappear, what a kid!
Well I'm going to say good night and God bless you where ever you are. Nice to see the stock market up today in spite of the fools in Washington and their inept handling of things. I'm glad we do not find our ultimate happiness in things but in people and God's blessings that really matter.

love to all

Tim

1 comment:

divatobe said...

Made steel-cut oats this morning with cinnamon sticks and diced fresh apple--very yummy! You ought to try it.