Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sabbath

Good evening,
On June 7, 2006 we were finally back in the room at a hotel in Boston. There were many of us there and as some tried to sleep, Jason sat at the desk in the near darkness poised over the laptop setting up the blog. I had never even heard of a blog much less written one but Jason felt it would be the best way to keep loving family and friends informed about Nan's precarious condition without each having to call one of the cell phones. What a favor he did his mom and all of us that night as he worked. Finally he called me over and showed me the basics of what I was to do for the next 2 and 1/2 years, write the "blog". Since that time I have blogged in some unusual places, hallways, waiting rooms at all times of the night, hospital rooms huddled in a corner with no light so Nan could rest, sometimes in the car outside emergency rooms, sometimes in airports and once even over the phone from a hospital room in Mexico as I dictated what I wanted to share and Art created the blog from Gilroy. I have now written nearly 900 messages some filled with hope, some with terrible news and even the one that was hardest to write letting you know Nan had fallen asleep in Jesus. You my friend and family member have responded in amazing ways, you have shared our family burden with prayers day and night, cards, care packages, donations of money, flights and loving gestures. Often I hear of people going through tough times and they seem to be surrounded by idiots, the terrible advice and comments they have to endure. Our family feels just the opposite. We have experienced only love, care, support and the best one could hope for. As long as I live I will do my best to respond to others in need, thats the way I and the family have been treated. And a special word about Nan's family. The support, daily phone calls, gestures of love from this family are amazing and I found that warmth when I recently visited the family in Eastland. These are real people who really know how to care.
A special thanks to Jason who helped set up the blog so long ago. It has made a great difference in my life.
Becky Lanza delivered a fine sermon today at the Tracy church re: Live is Difficult. Well as a matter of fact yes it is but also very doable and enjoyable and challenging as well. Then I called Nikki and got Keanna on the phone. There were nearby and we met at the good old Olive Garden, it never disappoints. Kallie was wanting more food than was available and it was a pleasure to be able to take her out of Nikki's care and just walk around a bit, she quieted down as we walked. Because I've been with her and Keanna so much I feel more confident to care for her, that way Nikki could finish her food and a better time was had by all. Then they went their way and I went my way, home for a nap. Then up to quickly get some much needed meds at longs before they closed for the night, then as I was driving home I realized that the Olive Garden lunch was wearing off so I went to Boardwalk, a local place by the water here in Discovery Bay where the Gardenburgers are perfect. I watched boats come and go while I ate and enjoyed the quiet moments very much. Then home to tackle a few tasks, dump the trash out of the bug, someone had dropped mocha bottles, taco bell wrappers, straws, drink cubs on the FLOOR of the car, can you believe that! the mess was getting deep. Then the GPS came into the house to be reprogrammed with all the new streets and latest in travel updates, then it was time to reload the Quickbooks Pro that Ken returned to me this morning, then remove the heater in the fish tank which was not an easy job, reset it lower so the tank does not overheat and finally reset the kitchen breaker, something is causing it to fail over and over again, so hard to get the toaster to work if the power is out! I actually made plans to replace it, that is until I noticed the lights would not work either. Could it be the instant hot water heater under the sink? Not sure. Now I'm clearing my desk and getting ready for a huge workday tomorrow. In two weeks I've gone from staring at the walls to busy as can be. Praise the good Lord for the change in fortunes.
So now its time to head to bed, meeting Ken at 6:30 comes far too early for a Sunday.
Thank you my friends and family members for your willingness to be involved in our lives. You have helped us through a time when we had to say our final goodbyes to Nan, to cope with life without her and to then rebuild a meaningful life for the future. You have been with us every step of the way, we thank you.
Good night to all,

love

tim

No comments: