Saturday, September 13, 2008

A great day here in Eastland Texas




Dear Family and Friends,


I am writing this evening from my little room here in Eastland. The day has been incredible. This morning Dana picked me up and we went to visit Mema, Nan's mother at her rest home. I was amazed she recognized me. After a brief visit Dana showed me around town and we located the place where a surprise birthday part for Joe would be held. At 3 pm this afternoon David brought Joe to the hotel and as Joe walked in a group of family and friends shouted Happy Birthday. Joe was totally surprised and delighted. His wife Linda had worked hard to prepare for the event. The children had all pitched in and the day turned out well. Even Mema was brought over for the afternoon and she loved seeing everyone.


After a few hours of fun for little children and adults alike the party came to an end and many made the move over to the ranch where Joe and Linda reside. We sad out in a very green lawn in the shade of huge trees, watched the little kids play and talked. Gradually the dark found us and we finally had to move into the house. Frequent warnings about rattle snakes kept us on guard.


Now I am back in the room ready for a rest and a quick trip to Love Field in Dallas for a noon flight home. I am sorry to leave so quickly as Texas is a wonderful place with warm and friendly people. To be included in this family gathering is a very special honor. I am very touched by this gesture.


During the day Dana received several calls from her husband Ron. Ron decided to ride out the storm and remain in Houston last night. During the night the wind blew over a large lemon tree, took away the central air conditioning unit, downed a neighbors tree onto their roof. Ron rose to a world without electrical power but was prepared with generators. So the refrigerators are running with the power supplied as is a TV set for news and one wall AC. He is urging Dana to remain here at Joe and Linda's for the next week until the power comes back on.


So tomorrow I fly home.


This has been an exciting break in my normal survival routine. The trip was supplied by Dana through a pink pass from Southwest Airlines. I'll be back in time for a full work day on Monday and will see two properties each paying COD. Nice! I'll care for Kidos Monday morning and be back in the harness again.


The reason I could not share where I was going was the chance that Joe would access the blog and discover the secret party. Makes perfect sense now!


So good friend and family,


Sending love to each and every one of you.
tim
Photos are of the birthday boy Joe and little 3 year old Emma, Joe's grandaughter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tim,
So that was the mystery trip you took. You DID go to TX, didn't you? I don't think I would have chosen TX as a destination this week end, but we don't plan birthdays. You did keep your blog readers guessing, however. I'm glad you had a good time with Nan's family. It must have been a bit emotional being there without her.

No, we aren't getting any of that rain you are hearing about. Maybe ~ Monday we will get "scattered showers". I hope they scatter around here. We are still VERY dry! We are hoping to get a stray band from Ike. And now the area gas stations are out of fuel. There is a promise of delivery soon, but none for now. We get our fuel from a pipeline out of the Gulf. Since the refineries are shut down for Ike ~ no fuel.

Now for a good week for you with those new orders and COD's coming in.

We love you ~ Carol