Monday, September 1, 2008

Life presents challenges

Dear Family and Friends,
As I write the daylight is nearby gone over the island and the palm trees are standing like dark soldiers on duty, the lake's surface is nearly glass and happy party sounds linger over the lake, people laughing, music playing, voices reduced to mumbles by the distance. The temperature is cooling, dogs are standing guard nearby, the fish tank is quietly splashing water through the filter and night is upon me.
Last night will be long remembered. I woke to the feeling I was being choked, gradually I discovered that the lights from the clock were gone, oh the power had failed. It was about 1:30 this morning. As I slipped in and out of slumber I became aware that I should check on the fish tank, when the power fails sometimes it overflows the sump tank at the floor level and water spreads. I carefully made my way through the bedroom, then to the stairs where I stopped to realize that if I fell no one would know until mid day today, yikes, better be careful. I came down and finally located a weak flashlight, checked the sump and it was doing fine, wondered if the fish could handle hours without air being mixed into their water, decided I could not solve it and went back up to bed. Finally 2 and 1/2 hours later the power came back on. Ken and I walked at 7:30 and then I started to check on the office. Well my own computer that I use 16 hours a day had failed. No matter how many times I tried it would not load completely up. I called my computer friend who asked me to unhook it and have it ready for him to pick up. He collected it and warned me that it was probably the main board, these things just get tired after awhile. Its been years since it was built. So the rest of the day I've been trying to get things done using the other computers but no one computer has all the parts, programs I need to complete and send an appraisal so it has been a day of trying to solve many small problems. I have one out and will have another out yet this evening. Just takes much longer to work this way. So far no word back regarding my baby.
I've needed to return the motorhome to its storage yard and Lois and Ray said they would help me get it back. But I felt I needed to check out the fluid level in the batteries. Well they were dry, very dry and over a gallon of distilled water later they are now refilled to the proper level. No wonder they did not seem to be holding a charge very long, no wonder the motorhome was totally dead when I picked it up last week to plan for the trip to MBA. Batteries need water surrounding the plates inside. When the water level drops the plates can dry out and crack or touch each other. When and if that happens the battery no longer will work. I'm very glad that I felt led to check on the fluid levels. So tonight the motorhome is back where it belongs, in its lonely RV parking lot and the driveway is clear for when Marilyn arrives back from her extended stay in Sacramento.
Tomorrow Nikki has to return to work for the department of energy. She has enjoyed being with Keanna and Kallie so much these last three months and has been a real inspiration to them both. How I wish she did not have to go back but with the economy being what it is right now a paying job is nothing to belittle. Steve will become Mr. Mom again and I'll help when he needs me so the little girls needs are met.
I am still very positive regarding the future and thanks to the huge generosity of someone the house payment will clear tomorrow without problem. That is such a huge relief. So far I've not had any calls about the stair chair and I'm asking God to guide just the right person who needs the help it gives to us to buy it.
I have no new work for this week but I've had some promised, just have not seen it yet.
I hope your shortened week will bring you joy and success.
Thank you for reading the blog and for your various ways of communicating with me.

love

tim

2 comments:

Deborah W said...

Hi Tim, it's not quite 2 a.m. on Tuesday morning. I'm having one of my more-frequent-than-I'm-happy-with bouts of labored breathing, always happening in the middle of the night, and which means I get to be up reading, or watching t.v., or having a cup of tea until it passes. Well, it's nice to get caught up on your blog! Glad the house payment is in, work will come, each day will get easier with a tough one thrown in just to keep you off-balance. Seems that way to me in my life; some days are "down" ones, and often I don't even know why, but I keep trying to enjoy whatever comes my way. Keep inspiring those around you! Deborah

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

Power failures can be quite a mess as We all know. So far We have not had to deal with that issue for some time now.

Yesterday My Dear Mother Passed to Her Rest about 11:30pm at Vienna Rest Home. She would have turned 94 in November but for the last 3/4 months since Her Fall & Hospital Stay She was never the same and had pretty much just given up on life. She rests now awaiting a grand reunion with Dad and the rest of the Family when Jesus comes to call His Own. We all Must be there!!

We will be having no services (Per Mom's Request), Private Family Committal at Cherokee Memorial where Dad rests. Her Ashes will be Placed with Him in the same plot some time in the next few weeks when We get things settled down.

So very hard to say good bye to loved ones but to know that they rest without pain or discomfort is a great comfort to those of Us that remain.

Love You, Have a good week,

Bob & Carrol.


S