Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Nice evening after a dreary day

Dear Family and Friends,
Today's high point was an enjoyable visit with Jim Edwards who is my doctor. He ordered blood work, a sleep study and felt that in general my health was pretty good. Blood pressure was 135/80 after sitting for 1 and 1/2 hours in the waiting room with only the animal channel to pass the time. He made slight changes in my meds and I see him in 3 months. Of course if the blood work suggests more changes I'll see him sooner. He listened to my lungs and heard no rattling which is a good thing. There are times when I start coughing and it lasts for minutes until something finally gives deep down in my lungs and the cough sort of breaks something lose and then I'm fine for hours again. He did not seem too concerned about the tingling in my leg and feet.
My next stop was in Oakland to measure a house. When I was there a week ago the promised key was never found and I was not granted entrance so today it was an hour over, 20 minutes to photograph and measure the house and then an hour back again. Hard to make a living that way but the report must be completed. The buyers are anxious to move in.
This evening Nikki and Steve invited me to join them, the girls, Steve's mom and his grandmother and Dusty in eating out. We settled on UNO's in Antioch and enjoyed a wonderful meal and great fellowship, laughs and fun watching the girls in action. Now I'm back home to a fairly cool house but very welcoming dogs. Ray and Lois retrieved their big turkey who has been living in my freezer for a couple of days and I'm set to slumber. Neighbor Ken just called and we agreed on 7:30 to walk in the morning. What a faithful walking friend he is, his gentle invitation to walk has made the difference on many mornings. If you want to exercise on a daily basis find a buddy who walks the same speed as you do and treasure the help they give.
I think a few words about being thankful are in order and I wish I knew the right ones. I can only say that in spite of a life changing event a year ago when I had to say a final goodnight to Nan I still find many things, people to be thankful for. I have been surrounded by loving hearts, helpful wallets and hundreds of emails and calls and everyone was helpful and did make a huge difference. I've not been plagued by silly advice and comments like some people are. Rather I've received thoughtful advice, spiritual encouragement, prayer in so many different forms. I really don't know how a person in my shoes could ask for more. Nikki and Jason have been helpful, consistent, supportive, loving and so have Steve and Jo. In spite of experiencing their own brand of loss, that is the loss of a much admired parent they have rallied to my side over and over again and helped me through various challenges along the way. Family members have been awesome and genuine in their help and support and I think I have the greatest friends in the entire universe. So I am thankful for all of these supporting people. I'm also thankful I have a car to drive, a comfortable yet cool house to live in, a business that challenges me daily and sometimes pays the bills, a church family that is tremendous and my basic health which in spite of the extra weight I am carrying is pretty good. Most important I have a saviour that in spite of knowing everything about me has chosen to grant me salvation and His peace.
Thankful, why yes I am thankful, it does not mean there is no hurt or loneliness, no anger or resentment, all the emotions are there yet in spite of it all I am thankful.

Wishing each of you a gentle day with friends, reasonable amounts of food and peace.

love

tim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving!
I hope you were blessed today with lots of family around you. Thanksgiving day has always been a special family day to me. It's times like these that we feel so very far away. We did get to talk to both girls today though.

I'm still getting caught up from being gone 12 days. The paperwork, the 235 e-mails and endless details just don't seem to go away. I scanned your blog for any earth shaking news... There were a few high points. It seems Keanna has grown up very quickly the last few months. She is no longer a baby for sure!

I'm glad you are enjoying your new shoes even though they don't go faster or farther. I hope you got a light weight pair. Some of those shoes can be a bit heavy for walking. At least the rocks aren't sticking into your feet as you walk.

We had a quiet day here with Dad and Barbara. Dad is getting more feeble and more unsteady on his feet. He will be 94 in January and he has lived a full and productive life. I only hope I can be as vital as he is at that age. When he married Barbara he told me he thought he would live about 2 more years. It will be 4 years in January! Married life appears to be good for him ~ both of them.

I'll try to keep up with you now that life is slowing into a routine again here. We do love keeping in touch and keeping up with your family.

We love you ~ Carol