Monday, November 17, 2008

Weekends over, now back to work

Dear Family and Friends,
9:50 and I am totally worn out yet it is a good fatigue as it is the result of miles driven, houses measured, decisions made and effort expended.
I started the day with a walk with Ken, then a very quick shower followed by an even quicker breakfast. Then it was time to leave for San Ramon. The trip was slowed by traffic from time to time but I still made it very close to the appointment time of 9. I enjoyed meeting the owners and seeing the house. Then a quick trip to the next appointment, a house I have seen twice before. The owners are so warm and friendly and they were saddened to hear about Nan's passing.
After leaving this house I decided to fit in an extra inspection in Vallejo. It is a tragic story which is repeated so often. Someone has a dream, finds a lot, builds a house. The main problem is, its the only newly built home in a neighborhood of 40 year old homes worth about $175,000 at this time and the house is in contract for $325,000. There is absolutely no proof of what this house is really worth, all the sales of homes of similar vintage are located south of Highway 80 in a different neighborhood. What a challenge this one is, a very nicely appointed house with Travertine floors, granite kitchen and surrounding the shower, 2 car garage, a view amenity which unfortunately includes a very old and poorly maintained mobile home park at the foot of the hill. The house is overbuilt for the neighborhood and unfortunate.
After completing my work on this house I had time for lunch at Applebees. What a great side salad and a tasty grilled cheese sandwich. To save money I drank water with a lemon. Then it was back on the road, down Highway 80 through Oakland with San Leandro the final destination. I've seen this house before as well and enjoyed seeing it and its owner again. She is a sweet senior citizen who keeps everything in perfect shape. When I completed this appraisal it was 4:30 and traffic loomed, yet it never materialized. I was able to maintain a decent speed all the way home, or to Brentwood I should say. There I finally was able to obtain the meds I have been trying to get.
Finally I was able to head home and enjoyed finding a check for a recent Sacramento appraisal in the mail along with trash items, magazines and flyers wanting my money for junk. A few minutes ago I drove over to see Nikki and Steve and was able to share an appraisal order with him. Turns out he spent a great part of the day detailing the van. I was thrilled and stunned to see just how clean and perfect the van now is. Wow! He is using it for a few days as his brother has to use Steve's car. Keanna loves to ride in the van and she helped her daddy today as he cleaned and scrubbed the carpets. I tell you, this guy can do anything he sets his mind to. I have a lot of respect for Steve's abilities.
Tomorrow is a work in day. I'll attempt to make sense of the piles of files, papers and messages on my desk. This evening I am very grateful to a loving God for a day of safety for the family and myself too. Jason and Jo were back in their classrooms attempting to fill the little minds with wisdom and knowledge.
So good night my friends and family, I'm sending my eternal appreciation for each of you and my love,

tim

1 comment:

Deborah W said...

Hi Tim, life has gotten in the way and I've missed reading your posts. Trying to catch up now! You amaze me with how much you accomplish, and you always find time to update your blog. I always enjoy reading it! Deborah