Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving a day with family and great food!

Steve and Nikki's amazing back yard!
Kallie enjoys grandma

Kallie finally gets to eat after watching everyone else stuff their faces!

Keanna shares her sand box with her cousin, grandma and Lacy


Kallie enjoys a moment with Tara and Pappa

Kallie and her mommy have a hug!

Dear Ones,

Mostly I will allow the photos to tell my story this evening. Nikki and Steve did an excellent job of hosting the thanksgiving feast at their home. They had all the bases covered with food everyone could enjoy. There must have been about 15 people there and I know everyone had an excellent time. Jason and Jo were with their former neighbors the Leoni's who now live in Milpitas for the day and had an excellent time too.

I've included a few photos I took this afternoon. Steve's mom and grandmother were there as were his brother David and Lacy with their little one. Jill and Roger came from Tracy along with Kevin their son and one of Steve's best friends. Kevin's daughter was there to play with Keanna and there were a couple more people related that I do know as well.

A year ago we had Thanksgiving here at the house and Dana was the chief cook. I remember well that Nan was fully aware of everyone but was weak and could only speak softly, yet she enjoyed seeing the family and having them visit with her. I have only positive memories of my brave Nan as she smiled and reached out to the little ones in spite of the pain and suffering she was coping with. Her heart was always with her kids and their kids and her biggest regret and saddest times were when she would verbalize her fears of not being around to help with the little ones. They were the love of her life and she would do anything for them. How she would have loved to see Timothy racing around and talking, to see Kallie smile and giggle, to have keanna hand her a picture just completed or watch her swim or run or jump or sing. Why cancer had to end all of her joy I do not know. What cosmic problem was solved by her passing? Why do good people have to die?

This evening after tearing myself away from the happy gathering I drove home and upon arrival the phone rang. It was Lois inviting me to come over and meet her rowdy family where were all the back deck sitting around a firepit. I went over to meet all of the family, what a hoot. Its great to see a family interact and the fire felt good on this chilly night. When I left they had just left on a pontoon boat to cruise the lake in the darkness.

In spite of memories that tug at ones heart and instigate a hint of tears this has still been a good day. Happiness is mostly a choice and I know Nan would be very insulted if we did not lead lives of happiness and meaning most of the time. I think we are all on the right track. Now we have Thanksgiving behind us and the next challenge is December 4, then Christmas. Together we will meet each one of these challenges in the same manner we have faced this entire year, with courage balanced with wonderful memories.

I am thankful for you all this evening, our whole family is thankful to each of you. Our transition from loss to living has been eased by your constant support and understanding and we appreciate the time and effort you have expended on our behalf.

love

tim

No comments: