Saturday, February 13, 2010

Musical magic

Dear Family and Friends,
10:50 on the eve of a very diverse and interesting day. I've just come from a concert of the Stockton Symphony which was pure magic. True they were not playing the heavy stuff tonight, it was music from Broadway plays and featured soloists Teri Bibb and Dennis McNeil. She has sung the role of Christine over 1,000 times with the Phantom of the Opera and had such control and beautiful tones throughout, Dennis being a tenor was just as pleasing to hear and the favorites they sang were incredible. All of this with the lush orchestral foundation that did not miss a beat, the brass were great, the strings were lush and solid, all the players were as one under the direction of the conductor, Peter Jaffe. He is lively, humorous and precise in his demands.
It was the kind of evening that turns into an experience in your mind, more than just music or a performance but a fine memory that will age well due to the quality of the event.

Earlier in the day Ken and I walked in the mist and then I quickly showered and picked up Ms Keanna. She enjoyed Sabbath School very much and I enjoyed the financial class I am taking. Then we had lunch at Olive Garden and eventually made our way home. After a brief nap Elder Charles Edwards called. He performed our wedding service and operated the summer camp at Pinecrest where Nan and I met. In fact we drove him up the wall as we quickly developed into an item with faulty reports about our behavior constantly falling on his desk. Lets just say it was a very good summer!

Now I'm just in this afterglow of good music and great friends. In the last few weeks I've been gradually waking from several years of having to suppress so many things due to Nan's illness and the last two years for lack of funds. Frankly I'm growing tired of accepting a dull world with little music, little art, minimal social interaction, a world of no and I can't when the facts show I am not dead or even close to it, that I can sing, still communicate well, know a lot about a whole lot of things, still care deeply about people and their suffering and am totally committed to my three little kidos. I feel like I'm just waking from a long self induced withdrawal from society and from all that created our good life together. I welcome the bright light of morning after the long night of sleep. I just want to thank special friends for challenging me to reconsider my dire judgements about myself. One friend even said, is it time to stop living in the past? Well that makes one think for sure.

Interesting thoughts as I savor the beautiful experience in the concert hall this evening. There is more to life than defeat and grief, there are harmonies, solos, melodies, different voices, rhythms.

Good night all

love

tim

No comments: