Saturday, February 20, 2010

A very restful Sabbath

Dear Family and Friends,
This has been one low key day. The alarm went off at 8 this morning and I rose rested and feeling pretty well. I called Nikki later but learned that Steve would care for Kallie, he really didn't want her to end up with Papa's cold.
So I enjoyed my steel cut oats, drank OJ and watched Loma Linda morning services. I rested for hours in the recliner with Starr snuggled in close by. At 1 or so it seemed reasonable to fix some lunch so today's menu had burger and steamed vegetables in light cheese sauce. Half way through the plate I realized that I no longer need huge amounts of food so I boxed the other half and stopped eating. I ventured outside a couple times, once to get the mail and once to do doggie patrol on the back deck.
Mid afternoon Sylvia called to see if she could make a house call. She said she had one question for me, where was I at that moment? When I replied, the recliner, she said I answered correctly and offered to come out to visit the sick. She not only arrived but came in with arms full of yummy things. She made a delicious dinner and watched me eat it, said she was not that hungry, well I was and the food was perfect. She also tidied up in the kitchen a bit, can you imagine that, a woman needing to tidy up a bit in a man's kitchen, seems it does look nicer now, like a whole lot nicer. We talked bread machines and she brought me samples of her last two loaves, oh are they ever good. She never makes the same type of bread twice, always tries new recipes. Well that is more adventure than I can understand since I've made the same recipe many times over.
Since the Olympics were starting at 8 she headed home to Tracy and just did some more heavy sitting with Starr in the recliner. I'm thinking recliners must have a life, a time when they start to give out but so far this one seems to work pretty well for me and its had a lot of use over the past 5 years or so.
I have had a much better day with very few bouts of coughing so I think the day of rest has helped a lot. I was sad to learn that neighbor Ray is ill with a cold and fever. This stuff is no fun at all. Hope he recovers quickly. I "borrowed" two pieces of wood from Ray and Lois today so I could have a fire and that was nice.
Sending love to all,

Tim

No comments: