Friday, August 1, 2008

An interesting day



Dear Family and Friends,

Well this has been a pretty good day, a welcome relief after yesterday with its low points.

I slept in until 7:30 this morning, rose slowly and then walked the lake route by myself. But I had the joy of conversations with Nikki and Sylvia. Both were so upbeat and encouraging, helpful and a real boost to morale. While I was walking a fire truck passed with sirens and red lights active. In a bit I came upon the truck parked in the street and they were working on someone in the front seat of a cab in front of a house. I'm reminded that people all around are facing challenges, some are terrible. Life is very uncertain. After I arrived home I watered the tomato plants and flowers, prepared a slab of wheat toast with a slim layer of peanut butter, had some stripples and applesauce. Later in the morning I made one of those discoveries that are not very earth shaking but still will have an effect on life. As you know Nan and I enjoyed drinking the mocha that is sold at CostCo. The mix comes in a large can and the data on the side says each drink contains 100 calories and 10 grams of sugar. Today I read the can more carefully. For all these years I have been preparing my drink using two teaspoons of power but as I was reading I was amazed to notice that the formula called for 2 tablespoons of powder. That is a huge difference so I've been drinking drink made with 1/2 what they suggest is the idea mix for a 8 ounce drink. Well I like it fine with teaspoons and will continue to drink it that way but was pleased that I'm used to it on the thin side. I wonder if Sharon knows this and the others who also enjoy the drink.

After a good shower I settled into my comfortable work chair and wrote an appraisal for the inspection I conducted last evening. At about 2:30 I finished and emailed it out to the lender and then received a new order for a property in Livermore, then this evening yet another order arrived for a FHA purchase. These are very precious, like life blood and I am very thankful for each and every one of these orders especially in times like these where everyone in our business is struggling to just try to stay alive financially. This afternoon I discovered I had about $2.00 in the bank after all the current charges had settled in and by monday I'll be at least $700 behind again. Of course by then I'll be paid for the appraisal on Sunday and perhaps something will come in the mail. Talk about living close to the edge.

This evening I am about to leave for the Oakland airport where at 11:30 Marilyn will arrive from Rhode Island. She has been in the air all day and is flying here now from Chicago. How glad we both will be for her safe arrival. It is something we have been planning for and hoping for and its now to come true.

This afternoon I drove to Brentwood to have an x ray done of my lungs. Last time the lady that did it was very lovely and made the whole process sort of extra fun, not so today. It was a guy and in 30 seconds I was in and out. Bummer. Then I drove to Longs. Over the years I have been paying over $100 for the strips I use to test the blood sugar levels in my body. Blue Cross Insurance refused to cover the costs of the strips for the machine I had, so in light of how hard it is to come up with an extra $100 I decided to see what Blue Cross had in mind and today I picked up a new test kit (free) and strips, my cost $10. I think I can adjust to a new machine for the $90 savings. Also after hearing from so many of you regarding the weight coach I decided to forgo the $500 plan at least for now and resort to Weight Watchers and to using a pedometer that Sylvia is letting me use. I'm told that I need to get in 10,000 steps per day, at least I think thats what I've been told, correct me if I'm nuts on the number. I will also start keeping a journal of everything I eat, I'd like to be using my phone like Karen Cress does, hers' lets her keep track right in the phone, amazing really. One way or another this weight will come down. In celebration of the upcoming weight program Nikki and I had dinner at UNO's tonight. But I had a salad with some low calorie vingerette, tasted fine and a flat bread pizza filled with tomatos, spinach, dry cheese and olives. It tasted good and I ended up leaving nearly half of it there as I was full. Progress! Nikki left some of hers too.

Now I'm just killing time until its time to leave for the airport and of course having the pleasure of your company through the blog. I'm sure we could talk about your week and discover ups and downs therein. I know I've sure had some ups and some downs. I'm continually amazed by the depth of the love for Nan that continues to warm my heart. She truely was God's gift to me, to this family and to the world around her. He knew what He was doing when He created her and I sure hope He knew what He was doing when He allowed her to rest. Someday we'll get the rest of the story.. for now we just all miss her deeply and continually.

Good night my friend, my family. Because of you I am blessed more than I deserve!

love

tim

ps I've included two very different photos tonight, one is of Nikki and Keanna at a happy moment at dinner tonight, the other is of the cabin air filter that was replaced in my bug this week. Have you replaced your cabin air filter? You might want to consider it....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,& Marilyn,

Hope Your trip to the Airport was a success. It will be good for You to have some company around for a while again.

Speaking of Cabin Air Filters, The Odyssey has one of them too. I had Ours changed at the 25,000 mile service just last week Total bill including Engine Air filter & Oil & Filter Change was $212.00, not bad but necessary. They tell Me at Honda the Cabin Air Cartridge needs to be changed at 3 Years or 25K which ever comes first. Mine was not nearly as Dirty as Yours but You are on the road every day and drive many miles in all conditions so You will pick up lots of junk in the air for sure.

Carrol's Sister arrived last evening about 5:30 and We went to Applebees for Dinner, Very Good! The Andersons will be Here for Lunch at Woodbridge and Games this Evening.

Have a good Sabbath and give Marilyn Our Best , We will try to get together with Her in the next few days/weeks depending on how long She will be here.

See You soon,

Bob & Carrol.

Deborah W said...

Hi Tim, I hope you have a wonderful weekend, and the needed funds arrive. I am off today for a 9th birthday party for a nephew. I'll get to spend the day with my parents, two sisters, a bro-in-law, a son, and my two "half-daughters," (my ex-husband's 8 and 11 year old girls, who are spending the weekend with me). Plus, of course, a gaggle of 9-11 year old boys, oh my! It can't miss being a great day when surrounded by family, right?!!!