Friday, August 15, 2008

This has been a hot week

Dear Family and Friends,
When Jason told me this morning that their highest temperature for the past two weeks was around 70 I could not believe it. He said they have not seen the sun, constant fog. Meanwhile we bake here in the valley, I mean really bake. Just getting in and out of the car several times while I did errands, bought cat food, Frontline plus, a few groceries, well it was hot every time. Fortunately since the bug was repaired the AC works wonderfully, the car runs cool and the AC blows like Alaska.
This evening as I write Keanna is sleeping in her room upstairs. Nikki brought her by around 6 and then went to her scrapbooking session. Keanna and I had a good time watching her movies, eating the pasta I prepared and entertaining Lois who came over to see her. Lois was so kind and brought her bubble solution and a cute little container holding M&Ms.
I did not walk this morning. Instead I decided it was time to settle down and get my part of the tax data completed and to Ken. I finished up around noon but Ken could not work on the taxes today. I logged orders, emailed some work out, worked more on getting E&O insurance renewed for a decent price. We are now up to over $800 for the policy for a year.
My kitties had run out of food and were starting to complain so I headed out to get new food. The kind I usually buy was not available at the Pet Food Express where prices are lower. She told me that Ecanumba is no longer made by the same company and recommended I switch to a different brand. She gave me a two week supply to see if the kitties would like it and had me go to another store to buy a small amount of the prior food so the switch would not be so drastic. I also returned two cable boxes that I have never used in the entire year I've had them. I also spoke to the Comcast rep about getting my service to work better. Interestingly enough when I got home my cable had been shut off completely. When I called it became obvious that the person at the desk did something wrong, in a few minutes my 100 channels were back on again.
I also went by the Union Cemetery District where Nan was laid to rest. Nikki has expressed concern that I would let time pass and not secure the grave site adjacent to Nan. I've been reluctant to try since the cost is over $2,000. The lady was so nice today and allowed me to place a hold on the adjacent grave site for the next 90 days and they will call if anyone attempts to purchase that site and give the family first rights to purchase. That was such a relief to not have to come up with the money right now when things are growing increasingly tight.
I spent some time this afternoon in the kitchen, made a new loaf of bread which turned out great, unloaded the dishwasher and reloaded it, deposited the check that came in today's mail and purchased a new tank of diesel so I'm good for the next week or more of travel.
I won't be able to take Keanna to Sabbath School tomorrow since she has the opportunity to travel with her family to Fresno for a birthday party for one of their friends. They try to go every year and always have a great time.
I'm considering driving down to Jason and Jo's place to spend some quality time with Mr Timothy. Its been too long since I've seen him. I could use a dose of 70 degree weather too for a change.
For all those people who brought food last Sunday I again want to say thank you. I've been eating very well from the frig, the nectarines, the peaches, the tomatoes, the chips, the veges, the fruit plates, the pies. Add that to the left overs Mary sent on Wednesday night and there has been very little reason to buy groceries. Thanks to all of you.

This being 60 is OK so far. Now if I could be 60 and 150 lbs then it would be really OK. The weight is a ongoing challenge which I've not really faced yet. I'm considering weight watchers as it has been recommended by many people I deeply respect.

It was a emotional moment at the graveside today. With all my heart I do not believe that Nan should be there, she should be on the phone to her family and friends, watching TV with Marilyn, planning a trip, spoiling the grandchildren. It is awful having her gone and no it does not get easier when you really stop to think about it. What gets easier is that you don't think about it so much or as deeply. No one can remain in a crisis forever. Not humanly possible. I miss her, I treasure her words, her ideals, her taste, her class.
There seems so much I have to leave with God and simply trust that He knows best.

love

tim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Tim,
I do hope you have a very special day today. Maybe the cool fog of Monterey Bay will be a welcome relief from your heat. There's nothing quite like a "kid fix" to boost the spirits either.

As you look back on your week ~ it looks like a pretty good week all in all. You have conquered some "old" tasks that have been waiting your attention, got some work in, work out and checks in. Now that's not at all bad!

Have you looked into the idea of sharing the same plot with Nan? They are doing that out here at least. One casket goes over the other. Another thing that can be done is be cremated and have your ashes buried in the same spot. Talk to your family and see how they feel about it. It would save you $2,000!

We had a welcomed fairly quiet week here. There are no concerts today or obligations. We do have a SS class pot luck though. One of our girls (17) in our church wants to go on a mission trip and do the Share Him program. Our class has agreed to "foot the bill" and send her. Today is our planning session. We have an exceptional youth group here in our church. They are raising money for a trip to Alaska next summer to encourage the youth. They heard that the youth of Alaska are struggling. Neat kids!

Did you ever figure out what's going on with the tightness in your chest? Did I miss something?

Have a special, meaningful, uplifting, inspirational, restful, blessed day!

We love you ~ Carol

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

You are so right about the heat but on the whole it has been a mild Summer, no extended periods of 100 + temps and always cool evenings.

My Sister & Husband Chuck left Yesterday for their Home in Palm Springs after spending the week here with Us. She was able to get in some quality time with Mother and that was good. Mom is so frail now and I'm sure will not be with Us much longer. At 94 She has had a full life and is ready to go to sleep in Jesus.

Carrol & I enjoyed a good lunch at the Center Yesterday and the Girls saw the "Traveling Pants" Movie thursday PM. Chuck & I spent the afternoon Looking through old Photo Albums, Impossible to get thruogh them all so they continue to reside in many boxes in the storage Stall.

Carrol's Clinic Day proved to be a good one again as Her Numbers are holding at a level that allowes Her to remain off of Chemo. 22 months now and Dr says could be many more before treatment will be necessary again. We are very thankful for the answered prayers of so many on Her behalf.

We are both now 70 Years old and I must say I have felt better than I do now but for 70 My Dr says that I'm doing very well and He gave Me a clean bill of Health on Wed at My regular "Physical" He did ask Me to try to loose 10 pounds seems like the weight does tend to arrive as We get a few more Years under Our belts. Maybe it's not the Years to blame, could it be "Ice Cream"!!.

Have a good weekend and say Hi to Marilyn,

Love You,

Bob & Carrol.