Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Challenges

Dear Family and Friends,
Good evening or morning, I woke this morning knowing I was feeling better in the same manner I woke yesterday to know I was not feeling well. Ken and walked our route and then went our own ways to work. I had the high privilege of seeing one right here in Discovery Bay, a referral from a friend. Great house and another story of triumph over loss. 10 year ago the owner lost his beloved wife to cancer and eventually ended up marrying his high school sweetheart years later. The place was really nice, well situated on a deep water channel and I enjoyed the visit. Then it was off to Martinez to see another cute place. What I will remember is a very old collie who followed me everywhere just hoping for a sniff of my pant leg which of course has the scent of Starr and Lady, what a great old doggie. While shooting the last comp photo in Martinez I encountered a homeowner. We appraisers try to be sly, shoot our photo and get down the road but she caught me so I had to explain what I was doing, why and how it was important to her, well actually it was not important to her at all but she ended up thanking me for explaining what was going on.
After completion of my work in Martinez I set the computer for the comps in Livermore that I had run out of time yesterday to shoot when I was there. The trip to Livermore was uneventful other than to hear from an agent who let me know an appraisal I had completed for a beautiful home in the Oakland hills with a panoramic view of the bay had been cut $250,000. Wow, that was a blow and so I went through the normal process of asking for any information he had that i could respond to. I know from experience that doing a decent rebuttal to this review will require a trip back to Oakland and a visit to every sale he mentioned as alternates to those used in my report. It will take about a day to do the work and of course there is no further fee for this work so its like I'll be working for free for the day. One does not have a choice though for its a matter of professional pride to support ones work and to basically rip the review in pieces in a very kind and formal way. Problem is, the reviewer never even has seen the interior of the subject property and never will. These kind of things that are part of my work hit me personally very hard as I do try to do it right in the first place but in todays market place it is always easy for someone to drop a value and then look like a hero to the lender even though what they have done is pick the dregs of the sales available to make their case. Nan was a professional reviewer for years but was trained by an outstanding reviewer to avoid doing the slash and burn approach, rather to be a second set of eyes to see if the appraiser made his case or not. Something tells me this reviewer was only interested in bashing the value, it happens and thats why there is a rebuttal process.
Its been a cat and mouse game at the bank all week. When I'm paid with credit cards it often takes 2 or more days before the money becomes mine, is formally inserted into the account, meanwhile expenses continue pouring in, insurance payment here, data payment there, house payment just completed. I remember the good old days when we would go to the bank to make a deposit and the stack of checks would be an inch thick. Now I'm really lucky to have more than one check to deposit at a time. Well at least I still have a job of sorts, so many are just laid off right now and that is very very sad.
This evening I took in a new order. This nice family purchased a home but when it came time to close the loan the seller could never be located so eventually the deal died and the buyer was out expenses for title, appraisal, home inspection, termite. The order this evening was for a different home they have located and are buying. I could not see myself charging full fee again as these people had paid out so much already. So I gave them a discount, Nan would have said, you what!!! But somehow it just seemed like the thing to do and I have already captured the funds from their credit card so its far better than nothing.
And so goes life, one challenge to the next. To be honest there is little joy in living this way and that is where the little guys come in. To experience them is pure joy. They live in a safe world with loving parents, food to eat, a warm bed and loving arms to hold them. I treasure every chance I get to help with them. Its a very good trip.
So my friends, thanks for listening, I'm feeling some better and trying to do simple things like wear a coat outside, drink tons of water, eat carefully and think positive, yea right. OK I'll try!

love

tim

No comments: