Thursday, February 12, 2009

TB scare

Dear Family and Friends,
I know its early but I'm heading for bed soon. When you take both DayQuil and a cough medicine with codeine you tend to begin to get sleepy eventually.
This has been another really rough day with hours of coughing and no relief.
This morning I had the high privilege of driving Sylvia to the airport in San Francisco where she was leaving for a bird watching trip in Surinam, at least that is where I think she is going. She flew as far as Miami today and is comfortably settled into a Days Inn this evening. She was so excited about this trip and in light of her history, remaining in Tracy for very long before leaving on a trip to somewhere was becoming unbearable. Now she is flying again and I wish her well.
After seeing her safely to the airport I drove across the Bay Bridge and on to Antioch for a followup visit to the doctors office where they confirmed I do NOT have TB, the test was negative. Then I drove directly to Livermore and arrived early for a noon appointment. I was so worn out from coughing and fever that I purposely fell asleep for awhile in the van. Waking I felt better and completed the appraisal assignment of a very nice home. After that I headed back to Discovery Bay to write up the report. I made a Taco Bell stop for a burrito and tostada.
At home I set to work on the appraisal and completed it just as it was time to travel to Tracy for the last appointment of the day. This one is interesting as its called a historical appraisal. That means they need a value for the house as of a certain day in April, 2001. On the way home I stopped in Mountain House to pick up a check for the work. As I was driving home Ken Sloan called. It was an interesting call. At the meeting on Wednesday people had become alarmed when I mentioned I was having a TB test and Ken was calling to let me know of the concern and to remember that people with chemo going on are very likely to catch anything floating around. While the intention of the call was good it helped me decide to just skip tonight's meeting. The facts are, I don't know what I am suffering from and it could be contagious. I doubt it and I've been informed by my doctor that once the antibiotics are in the risk to anyone of catching what I have is non existent. Anyway it was just the excuse I needed to just shine the group on. I drove to Brentwood to pick up Actos, one of the meds I take and while there hooked up with the girls. We had dinner at El Camino, a Mexican place located half way between Brentwood and Oakley. Now I'm home and very very tired.
This afternoon I was so desperate with constant coughing and misery that I raided the medicine cabinet. I took DayQuil and then when nothing happened I went back and took cough medicine that Dr. had ordered some time ago. It is laced with codeine and still I coughed.
At the present moment the coughing has calmed down and I'm going to bed before it wakes again. My prayers have become even more urgent that somehow, somewhere an answer can be located. I ache all over from coughing, my throat feels like fire, my head throbs and it is not as much fun as it sounds. really.
Looking forward to the weekend and the precious Sabbath hours.
Sending love to all,

Tim

No comments: