Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Facing the big one

Dear Friends and Family,
I've just hung up from a conversation with our friends the IRS. After days of total denial and finding every excuse not to call I finally just faced it. I've spoken to you before about certain times when you just have to face it, walk forward into whatever it is and endure. So on impulse I dialed the number and was startled to be speaking to an agent in less than 2 minutes. She sounded like the girl next door but knew her business and in a few minutes put me at ease, renewed the agreement even telling me several places I could make the payments on line and we were done. I felt the load slip from my shoulders much like Pilgrim in Pilgrim's Progress where he faces the cross and feels his heavy pack slip from his shoulders.

Ray arrived at just the same time as the call was being finalized and we went to the family room and watched NCIS in celebration. Procrastination has always been my companion but moments like this evening remind me what it is better to face things sooner than later. She told me as we closed the call that it was nice to speak with me and that her days get long, sometimes she says she is close to tears after she hears the terrible stories people are sharing in this awful times. This is certainly a different IRS than the one I dealt with years ago where the caller was abusive and threatening. She said they had discovered that they got further toward their goals by helping people rather than being nasty. I told her I was going to share how nice she had been and she thanked me for doing so.

Today has been a non stop day. First Ken and I walked through the mist and fleeting raindrops this morning. Then it was off to Stockton to see a house after which I raced back to write up the report. I emailed it to the lender at just the time I had to leave for the airport to meet Pam and Terry from Wales. They came out to the curb when their luggage cleared and we had a delightful trip home in the van. Then they went their way and I came in to begin working again. I discovered I was hungry so I toasted some little thin buns that Joyce told me about. They are great and have much fewer carbs than regular buns. I had one with tomato and another with sliced up scallops, oh so good.

Tomorrow is a big day. Sylvia is coming to return some files and complete her magic in my office and then Keanna will get to visit with her for a little while. Keanna is looking forward to seeing Sylvia as they used to have good times playing games and sorting toys etc.

I continue to be very busy with new orders coming in. How long it will last I don't know but for now I'll just do the best I can to get them completed in a manner that is honest, helpful and supported. Of course the checks coming in have been very helpful as well.

So I bid each one of you a good night or good morning and again I want to thank you for sharing in this blog experience. I'm sure Nan would have been very pleased to know we've stayed in touch. How I wish Nan could have met Kallie. They are alike in so many ways including being very gungho about living, playing and loving.

Good night to all

Tim

No comments: