Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Full speed ahead

Good evening
As I wind up this eventful day it feels good to let the stress melt away. My day really got going with the inspection of a lovely 3500 sf home. It was located on the top of a hill and the views were pretty amazing. The family is on their way to Dallas due to an advancement with a large company. So now they are torn between selling here and finding suitable housing there. He told me that there are hundreds of homes to look at there.
The visit will be remembered mostly for the constant rain that fell as I was measuring. Can you imagine driving up and parking in front of a huge complicated home and knowing the second you opened the door you would be awash in rain drops. For a moment you just feel like driving home and coming back later when the rain has stopped. I've never found that solution possible. So I measured and protected my clipboard so the paper would not turn to mush and the ink run. My shoes are so old that they leak instantly so I felt my socs getting wet as I worked.
Soon I was indoors and enjoying the warmth the interior provided. The home was lovely, had 5 bedrooms and was up to date. So before long I was through and back to the car where I ran the heater to dry my shoes. I found a nice secluded spot to park so I could select comps and it looked out onto rolling hills which are green and lush this time of the year. An old time radio show was on XM and soon I was shooting comp photos and then it was done. My car swerved into the drive thru window at Starbucks and today I tried a low fat, decaf mocha. It tasted great and lasted over an hour.
By the time that hour was up I was back at my desk working, ducking phone calls and trying to settle down to get a Tracy report completed. The big problem was, this one had to be emailed through their web site using the AI format. Even though I knew my software was AI compliant I had no idea of how to create an AI document to send. By the time I was ready to submit it my software support people in the South had gone home for the day. I prayed a silent prayer and began to wade through the files that Sylvia so recently has cleaned up. Wow, what a new experience as everything makes perfect sense. I was able to locate some papers about AI with a phone number so I called. The nice lady had the answers and before long the report was burned into the AI format, submitted and I was or will be $300 richer at some point in the future. Of course the fee should have been $525 for what I did but we live in a new world. A world with thieves extorting money at every hand.
Once that process was over I was out of time to get to Emeryville for a driveby that is due tomorrow. So after Ken and I walk at 6 am in the morning I'll leave for Emeryville, catch Fairfield and then try to get back to pick up Keanna at 12:45. If I see I'm not going to make it then kind Steve will pick her up but I'm going to try to make it.
At the moment I'm about as busy as I can be but much of what I end up doing does not have a pay day connected. A whole lot of people want free advice and free information. I'm not too good at saying NO.
So for now I'm saying goodnight to each of you and please keep Irene and her family in your prayers. Her condition is very serious.
Love to all,

tim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dad,
I am so sorry about Irene. She was so kind and always a good friend to Mom.

PS - you need some rainboots for days like this.
Nikki