Sunday, January 3, 2010

MBA does its magic


Dear Ones,

9:50 and I'm back. I know I only left yesterday afternoon but so much has happened since then. This morning Jason woke me for our walk. We headed out through the cool morning to the beach where large breakers attacked the shore. For me it was a tough time with so many conflicting emotions roiling around inside. As Jason and I walked the tear dam broke and the cleansing power of the sea, the love of a son, the release of pent up pain, disappointment, loneliness, economic fear, it all slipped out and disappeared into the damp sands. We walked and as so often happened before Jason's carefully chosen words were the right ones and the trip back up the hill was with a lighter load. I can't explain it nor do I need to but life seemed more doable, likable and worthwhile as we headed back up the steep incline to the wandering fields of MBA.

Jason prepared a scrumptious breakfast of avocado and fried egg over toast and the day was bright. I fact it was bright. My laptop told me it was 41 degrees in Discovery Bay but the sun was bright, the air warm at MBA. Timothy was everywhere, riding his car, playing with his new set of toys from Nikki and Steve, playing his piano, climbing in the stroller I had brought. He and his daddy came outside to find fresh air and he explored the yard, his slide and watched as his daddy attacked the hated clover that was once again growing in the yard.

As the day progressed Jo created a wonderful lunch that was perfectly delicious. Then we drove to Trader Jo's for needed supplies and topped it off with a quick stop at Whole Foods. Jason pointed out that were he rich he would shop more at Whole Food but they were expensive.

We drove back and it was time for Timothy and Pappa to take a nap.

With the nap out of the way Jason decided to take on one of those long desired repairs on Jo's list for the home. We headed back to town for supplies, got the screening material and went home to repair the front screen door. Jason made quick work of it and now the flies are totally excluded from entry once again.

By this time Jo had vegan pizza ready and it was really good. Observing the time I prepared the motorhome for flight and sadly left my precious little family waving from the front porch.

What a different trip home for me than the one just yesterday. No more chest pains or fatigue, just optimism and problem solving. Nikki had given me an excellent book for Christmas and I now have the first part completed. It is a compelling story about the men, boys really, who raised the flag during the war. It is well written and packed full of information I doubt you would discover any other place. It made the miles go by rapidly as I drove. Once again I kept it warm for the doggies and they loved it settling down by the heater outlet as we drove home. The travel was uneventful which is just what you want when propelling a 12,000 lb vehicle down the road and over Highway 17 with its curves and steep downhill lanes.

Now I'm home, unpacked and ready to head to bed. How can a 24 hour trip change things so much? Well it actually doesn't change anything, just the perspective but how important that is especially when so much of my life is spent alone with no opportunity to bounce ideas off anyone else.

How is your week lining up? For Jason and Jo it means school is back in session. Tomorrow afternoon Jason faces his many teens who are just back from various vacations experiences and his goal is to guide them into a more educated future, to know more and to know how to communicate it better. It is a lofty profession and I am proud of him for trying.

For Nikki is is back to work with the Department of Energy, attempting to make sure government programs use their funds wisely and properly for she is an auditor. Its not easy work but oh so important in these times.

I spent some time being thankful for my 4 kids and their 3 kidos as I drove home. Perfect, no way, but really really special, you bet. For as they live their lives it is an extension of my life in a way and that makes me really proud, grateful to have had a part.

Love to all,


Tim

No comments: